Back hoe hose coupler problems

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems #1  

UWAdventurer

Silver Member
I am trying to hook my Woods 7500 back hoe up to my tractor and the hydraulic couplings are refusing to engage. The tractor is off, so there shouldn't be any pressure on the lines, correct? The female outer ring on the coupler is loose and working properly. My thoughts are that the O-ring is swelled and not allowing the coupling to engage far enough to lock. Can the O-rings be changed? If so does anyone know what size they are? Or does the whole coupling have to be changed, if so does anyone know what size they are? I don't know how to size them.

This is my second season with the tractor so I am still learning. Thanks for the help everyone.

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems #2  
wrap a rag around the male coupler , then smack it down on something hard [ on the tip ] to release pressure , i have to do that to mine once in a while .

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems #3  
I would try what toolbox is recomended. I have seen this happen before when the implement was unhooked with pressure on the lines or has settled and caused pressure to be on a line.
As far as the o ring, yes they can be changed. If you can find something like a dental pick these wok good to get under the o rings. I found mine at the napa store in a set of 4 some straight and some bent on the ends. They were around 4-5 dollars if I remember. Not sure on the o ring size. The Ag Supply did have a good assortment for around 20 dollars.

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems
It seems like I am getting it on far enough that I am getting fluid out of the coupling, I just can't get it on far enough to lock. I am getting fluid to leak from the couplers when I try to couple them. The male and female on the tractor will lock back together, but when I try to mate them up on the back hoe couplings they will not couple. Would it still be a pressure problem? I also thought if the tractor was off there would not be any pressure on the lines. I had both sets of lines locked together to themselves when the tractor and back hoe was separated. Would it still be a pressure problem, I don't see how pressure could have built up.

Your help is appreciated.

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems #5  
Could be temperature differential causing the pressure. Try and loosen one of the fittings and relieve ant pressure that way.

Deano

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems #6  
I had the same problem yesterday and I got channel locks to squeeze the tight, probably not the best way but it worked, my dealer called after I did it and he suggested tapping the male end also.

OK, I will give that a try in a day or two (it is supposed to rain), thanks for the input guys!

So even with the hoses hooked together on the implements it can still build pressure? Interesting. I had this on and off a couple of times last year and never had this problem.

I anyone has other ideas please chime in, I will give those remedies a try in the mean time. Thanks again everyone.

/ Back hoe hose coupler problems #8  
My dealer also told me the next you take the hoe off before you disconnect the hoses to shut the tractor off and move the joy sticks on the hoe and let the fluid go back into the tractor. He said that should eliminate the problem

Interesting. My dealer told me to store the back hoe on the out riggers and bucket, so that is what I did. I would not be able to move the joy sticks in that situation. He said they store them that way all the time. I believe that is why he told me to hook the hoses together, so there wouldn't be a pressure build up. Does that make sense?

What is strange is that the tractor ends of the hoses will hook back together, but the back hoe couplings do not seem to want to go back together. It could be a pressure problem like you all are saying.

Thanks again.