Tires BX24 - Update on leaking front tire

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #1  

uglyboywith11fingers

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 BX24TLB, 1998 TG1860G
Okay, today I finally got around to cleaning up my BX after doing some work for my neighbor yesterday... and decided to take off my slow leak front right wheel.
pumped it up to 40 psi and poured on some water.
Found bubbles coming from the sidewall, right between the A & S in the words TRACTION MASTER. No sign of any puncture or even a scrape.
I had assumed from reading other posts on leaky fronts on BXs that I'd be looking at a rim leak.
I guess I'll try some SLIME.

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #2  
might want to check the rubber on the tire valve mine was dry rotted in a few years and it took a lot of work to break the bead and replace it

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #3  
That ought to work! Put it in and forget about it! I put some in both my front tires and never looked back!

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #4  
My BX24 had same dry rot sidewall leak and slime did the trick for 2 years until i hit a burried piece of cast iron from old potbelly woodstove slicing the sidewall and replaced both fronts.

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #5  
mine did the same thing thru side walls beads. I popped th bead and cleaned it and used bead sealer with new stems.It lasted 8 months and now back to square one. I am against use of slime, but I went ahead and put it in :ashamed::ashamed:. so far its held up from last summer, mild winter and now spring. Time will tell how long it will last.;)
If it happens again- its either tubes or new tire. most likely i will go with tubes.:mad:

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #6  
mine did the same thing thru side walls beads. I popped th bead and cleaned it and used bead sealer with new stems.It lasted 8 months and now back to square one. I am against use of slime, but I went ahead and put it in :ashamed::ashamed:. so far its held up from last summer, mild winter and now spring. Time will tell how long it will last.;)
If it happens again- its either tubes or new tire. most likely i will go with tubes.:mad:

Curious why you are against slime? I agree that it should NOT happen (leaking at rim), but it does.

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #7  
My right front tire also did that from day one. Dealer checked it and said no leaker but it still did that. So Slime went in..I went ahead and slimed the left just because. It's been 3 years and counting.

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #8  
Curious why you are against slime? I agree that it should NOT happen (leaking at rim), but it does.

Because of short shelf life of 2 years in tire. They tell you to change it out. They don't guarantee side bead sealing, only where treads are. Its a mess to clean out if we want to put in a tube. If stem plugs up, we will need to remove tire stem core and clean out and reinstall. Need me to go on?

I went with slime since it was the "easiest" thing to do at the moment and I cringe at thought at 2 to 5 years from now cleaning out rim, tire to repair again. :confused2: I made my choice, and will deal with it when time comes.:eek:

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #9  
Good points. Looks like I will be dealing with the mess in the future also!:(

/ BX24 - Update on leaking front tire #10  
I'm going on over 3 years with the same Slime in both front tires and so far, no issues with leaks. I have had one issue that radioman mentioned in that one of the valve stems did plug up. I keep spare valve stem cores because of this.

When checking pressure with Slime in the tires (or rimguard), position the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position. Then shoot a quick burst of air in the stem first before you check pressure with a guage.