L2800 HST Engine oil capacity

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #1  

neilbedwell

Tractor
Kubota L2800
I just finished doing my 50 hour service on my L2800 HST. I put 6 quarts of oil in the engine just like the manual says. I started it and let it run for a couple minutes then turned it off. When I checked the oil level it's above the top hole on the dip stick - i.e. looks like it's overfilled. I re-read my owners manual and it says 6 quarts for sure. Am I reading it wrong? Will it hurt anything just to leave it in there or do I need to try and drain it out? Anybody else have this problem? Thanks so much folks for your help!

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #2  
I just finished doing my 50 hour service on my L2800 HST. I put 6 quarts of oil in the engine just like the manual says. I started it and let it run for a couple minutes then turned it off. When I checked the oil level it's above the top hole on the dip stick - i.e. looks like it's overfilled. I re-read my owners manual and it says 6 quarts for sure. Am I reading it wrong? Will it hurt anything just to leave it in there or do I need to try and drain it out? Anybody else have this problem? Thanks so much folks for your help!

did you drain both sumps? (each side of the front drive shaft.) I believe the 2800 has 2.

James K0UA

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity
Yep, it has two drain plugs. I drained 'em both. Thanks for the quick reply!

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #4  
Yep, it has two drain plugs. I drained 'em both. Thanks for the quick reply!

If it is not a whole lot above the top mark I would not worry about it.

James K0UA

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #5  
I had the same thing happen. I went ahead and drained to get it below the max oil level.

I had to drain over a half quart to get it just below the mark.

I too drained both sumps.

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #6  
The habit I have gotten into over the years, is add oil until I am within a quart of the "spec" in the manual, check the dipstick and then adjust as necessary. Much simpler and avoids belief in everything you read as being gospel.

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity
Well, darn. I guess I need to drain some off. Thanks everyone for the replies. I assumed the manual was correct.

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #8  
My L3400 is the same. I put info (part numbers, torque, capacities) on my maintenance logs so I don't have to use the manual. I changed it to 5.5 quarts after the first time. I drained off 1/2 quart.

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #9  
Had the same problem with my L2800 HST. Lesson learned.

/ L2800 HST Engine oil capacity #10  
I have done the same thing with the engine oil and hydraulic fluid. The dealer told me that you never can drain out all the oil that's in there, so you need less to fill back up. Just go by the level on the dipstick as you put in the fresh oil, and you will be all set.