kubota genuine filters or not???

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
ok. i am sure this has been discussed simular to the SUDT debate, i have searched some here on tbn on this topic and actually found the wix filter site link here and did my homework and crossed referenced all my filter needs for my b7800 and rtv 900 and have the correct wix (napa) numbers.

the question is: IF it is cheaper to go with the napa (wix) filters, is it worth it? what makes the kubota filters different?

i know the sayings "pay now or pay later", "you get what you pay for", "i just about ruined my (thousands$$$) engine, but i saved $5 on my oil filter that didn't have the anti drain back or correct flow specs."

but if the manufacture of wix (napa) states this filter matches up correctly, why would kubota's filter be better? i have run only kubota filters/oils on the equipment up to current. 856 hours on b7800, and 589 on rtv 900 with no problems. common sence might suggest to stick with the kubota filters, but money is a little tight right now and maybe i was just throwing money away paying for higher priced kubota filters (i will stick with the sudt2 oil). i am a by the book minded person when it comes to pm on equipment. my equipment is highly maintained and the manuels state to "use only a genuine kubota filter to prevent serious damage" and that "to ensure long life of your kubota product, use only kubota genuine parts." how true is that or is it a sales pitch? i know if i went with oem replacement parts on my vehicles, i would spent a fortune more. (door handle for truck: dealer=$79, auto zone=$39 and this is just one instance) and i have been running napa and fram filters on my vehicles with pennzoil. i didn't put all these miles on myself, but 04 gmc truck has 219,000 miles on it, 96 gmc truck has 228,000 miles on it, and 05 jeep liberty has 82,000 miles on it. yes both trucks have reman engines in them, but still.

the golf course i worked on run kubota engines in just about all turf equipment we used, and we used napa filters and i saw those engines worked hard up to and over 2500 hours. even used non kubota udt hydrolic oil, but the most equipment was jacobsen, not kubota, just kubota engines.

so for all the mechanics, experts, and people with experience, what do you all think? i will be keeping my equipment for as long as possible, and it is used in a business/commercial setting and gets the hours put on. last year b7800= 300+ hours, rtv 900= 200+ hours and the hours will atleast be just as high each year. the dealer is no further away then the local napa store, so price difference is the only deciding factor. but if someone out there knows if, how, and why kubota filters are better, then that will negate the price difference for me.

i greatly will appreciate any and all info. never too much information for me. thanks to everyone in advance!

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #2  
Yes, this can gets kicked around here at TBN with great regularity.
The reality is that many folks like to trust the filters Kubota specs (Kubota subs out the manufacturing, surely) and also want to support their local dealer. That's all fine and good. Also, in a few cases, especially trans filters, nothing but the OEM from the dealer is available, anywhere.

Truth be told, few folks bother doing this with their truck or automobile. When it comes to the big names, Wix, Baldwin-Hastings, FleetGuard, the trust level is pretty high, but the savings are seldom huge, only decent enough.

There's also the matter of convenience. Most folks aren't too far from a NAPA or other good supplier.

Bottom line is that I never hear of anyone destroying their Ford or Chevy because they didn't use a Motorcraft or AC branded oil filter. We put 200K on our Honda and never used a Honda filter. I also have travelled the 2/3 World and such matters consume far less of people's mental time. They often use whatever filters and whatever fluids they have available and still, their tractors operate for 1000's of hours in dreadful conditions. To me it is mostly a huge yawn, sorry.

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #3  
Your equipment, your money spent buying it, your money will be spent repairing it. Use the oil and filter you want to. Why ask questions?

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #4  
I just went thru this yesterday, while looking for an oil filter for a BX2350.
I called the local Napa store, retail 14.00, my price, cause I buy way to much stuff for all our other vehicles, 10.00, local Kubota dealer, 9.37. I bought 3 at the Kubota dealer, and got the original filters..

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #5  
Go read the Magnuseon-Moss Warranty Act and decision and then report back.........:thumbsup:

/ kubota genuine filters or not???
Your equipment, your money spent buying it, your money will be spent repairing it. Use the oil and filter you want to. Why ask questions?

because i am much more of an "operator" then i am a "mechanic". you are absolutely right that my money bought it and will repair it, and only a fool would maintain it without proper knowlege. that is why i am asking questions.

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #7  
I can't recall anyone here on TBN reporting an engine failure due to an oil filter malfunction from any manufacturer. Fram (the dreaded brand) was used on my L3650 since it was the same filter as my Ford F350. No problems but I have since drifted away from that brand.

But that being said, to be safe I use Kubota filters during the warranty period. Then there could not be any bickering with the filter manufacturer, Kubota, and you about what caused an engine failure.

After the warranty period, I use what is convenient - WIX/NAPA filters seem to work well.

Messick's usually has decent prices but the shipping can be a killer. I buy several of each kind of Kubota filter needed to save on "per item" shipping costs and then don't have to buy filters for years. :thumbsup:

I haven't seen any research on tractor filters that may have a bearing on this discussion.

/ kubota genuine filters or not???
Go read the Magnuseon-Moss Warranty Act and decision and then report back.........:thumbsup:

ok. i didn't read everyword of it, but the just i got was that this mmwa allows consumers/owners to use aftermarket parts and that won't void the written warrenty. so this allows competition of manufactoring companies so the prices on parts and such (as we are speaking of) don't get out of hand or too high. in other words i think that it means if other parts/filters are so writtenly implied state they will work in place of oem parts/filters, they should be fine to use? and if the equipment was still under warrenty, the dealer would still have to honor the warrenty even if non oem filters were used, so long as a correct after market filter was used.

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #9  
and if the equipment was still under warrenty, the dealer would still have to honor the warrenty even if non oem filters were used, so long as a correct after market filter was used.
Paint it grey to match the frame, they'll never know the difference.

/ kubota genuine filters or not??? #10  
I don't think you will hurt anything. Buy what you are comfortable with. If you are having to ask the question, possibly second guessing using another brand, then maybe that is your comfort level. Just like all the oil questions, Most motor oil out today is excellent lubrication and antiwear additives. I buy what fits into the specs of the Kubota maintenance manual, but not Kubota brand oil.

All personal preference.

Good luck on your decision!