Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service?

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #1  

DieselDon

Tractor
B2620
After reading several, long oil threads, I studied the manual for my B2620 and am a bit stunned. The range of oil weight recommendations seems crazy.

I've owned 16 Mercedes diesels and 5 VW TDI's and never....never has 10w30 been part of the discussion. Yet there it is....as one of the recommended weights for the Kubota.

I want to go with Mobil 1, 5w40 as I use it in all my other diesels. Is Kubota just behind the times in avoiding the 'synthetic oil' discussion?

I have 51.0 hours and will change it tomorrow

Thanks

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #2  
DieselDon said:
After reading several, long oil threads, I studied the manual for my B2620 and am a bit stunned. The range of oil weight recommendations seems crazy.

I've owned 16 Mercedes diesels and 5 VW TDI's and never....never has 10w30 been part of the discussion. Yet there it is....as one of the recommended weights for the Kubota.

I want to go with Mobil 1, 5w40 as I use it in all my other diesels. Is Kubota just behind the times in avoiding the 'synthetic oil' discussion?

I have 51.0 hours and will change it tomorrow

Thanks

I use Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 oil in my TDI's and my Deere. It will exceed the Kubota's oil requirements. Go for it and never look back. Now if it had five hours then the Mobil would be a mistake as the factory oil is designed for break-in.

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #3  
I use Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 oil in my TDI's and my Deere. It will exceed the Kubota's oil requirements. Go for it and never look back. Now if it had five hours then the Mobil would be a mistake as the factory oil is designed for break-in.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #4  
Do you really think that Kubota has tested everyone of the oils on the chart, and hasn't missed some? If so, you are living in a fantasy world. Part of my job prior to retiring was to go over lube charts with help from our Chem Products Division and our Engine Division, plus whatever power train group was involved. Oils would change from first draft to final, and after publication more things would change, a never ending battle. For engines the main thing is to follow the spec and remember that as you go along the spec will be supersceded by a new diesel engine oil spec. The major warning I got from Chem Products is that some of the miracle oils get reduced friction at the expense of bearing materials and will reduce the life of your engine although operating expense may be reduced in the short run. Not talking about high quality synthetics - not aware of any that suck, especially large name brand. I have always used 15W-40 in my diesels but when I got my new tractor my dealer said I should use 10W-30 because we never get super hot and cold flow is more important in the North Country. My next change will be to Amzoil heavy Duty Diesel 10W-30 which meets Kubota's recommended CI-4+ rating.

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #5  
I, like the above poster, run the Amsoil stuff in my BX2350 with a Kubota filter.

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service?
Thanks for the comments so far. Very helpful....

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #7  
5W40 synthetic would be a bit better than 10W30 for cold starts, and a bit better than 10W30 if you forget to clean your radiator screen and start to overheat the tractor.
In most cases synthetic isn't needed but I like to run it for the cold starting and bit of extra protection if for some reason engine temps get a bit higher or something else goes wrong, say fuel dilution from a leaky injector or you don't catch a headgasket problem right away.
Personally I use Rotella T because its only a little more than conventional oil, but obviously nothing is wrong with Mobil 1.

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #8  
Well, since nobody has mentioned it in detail yet, be sure to use an oil rated for diesel engines. It should say "CI" in the rating.

If you use Mobil 1 be sure it is the "turbo diesel" rated variety.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #9  

I use Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT in my L3940, along with all my other engines. Good choice. Yes, the oil chart in manual makes little or no sense. Philip.

/ Synthetic Oil at first 50 hour service? #10  
I put Mobil Delvac one in my L3400 at 50 hours. I run it in all my diesels.