Backhoe Backhoe for a B7800

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #1  

GAKubotaFan

Tractor
Kubota B7800
I am going to get a B7800 and am also going to get a backhoe. Based on the size of the B7800 do you think I should get a backhoe with a sub frame or the standard Kubota backhoe that attaches to the three point hitch? The Kubota dealer said I didn't need a sub frame with a tractor as large as the B7800. I am looking to get the Kubota backhoe that digs to 90".

I do cut a lot of grass and don’t want to continually have to take the sub frame off unless it is a lot better. The tractor will be used for residential work and won’t be used for real heavy duty work.

If I remember reading the 90" backhoe runs off of the tractor hydraulics and the smaller one uses a pump that runs off the PTO. Is there and advantage to either? Any information would be nice.

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #2  
GAKubotaFan,
It is hard to believe that a Kubota dealer told you that you didn't need a subframe mount hoe with a B7800. All compact tractors need a subframe hoe. The bigger the hoe the more need for the subframe. The subframe actual comes off with the hoe each time you take it off and the subframe hoe in most insistences comes off and attaches easier than a three point hoe. There should be others that will chime in that have a Kubota with a hoe of a similar size to give you more insight.

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #3  
My Woods 7500 has a subrame. I have a B7500 tractor which is a bit smaller than a 7800. The subframe ADDS tremendously to the rigidity of the bh. I can remove and reinstall the unit in very little time. The subframe will decrease your ground clearance. It may also make your tractor light on the front end which you will notice when going uphill and trying to turn. With the pros and cons, I still would use a subframe mount, just from my experience.
When you look at the photos, click on the thumbnails. Also curser to the right at the bottom of the photos for more shots.
Hope this helps

My Kubota Tractor

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is hard to believe that a Kubota dealer told you that you didn't need a subframe mount hoe ...)</font>

Not that hard to believe! I had a dealer (not the one I bought from) tell me that the reason the Kubota B4672A backhoe for the B7500 didn't have a subframe there was no reason for a subframe- the reinforced top link was enough.

Of course, this is the same person who only minutes before had shown me the BX-22 and commented on the frame reinforcement vs the BX-2200, and the four point mounting for the backhoe.

Salespeople, even well meaning ones, will tend to sell what they have. I frankly do not understand what Kubota does not offer subframe mounted backhoes, given the advantages.

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #5  
Check out the Bradco 3375 for the 7800 as I saw the setup using the 4 Point mount subframe like Kubota TLB's and it is a nice setup. Also some indications are that this can be used with a MMM setup. This also improves the ground clearance, and puts the BH tighter to the rear of the tractor. The unit I saw ran off tractor hydraulics so no PTO to connect. The 7800 has sufficient flow to run the BH..

Carl

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #6  
I'll chime in - I'd strongly recommend a BH with a subframe. Yeah, Kubota's hoe doesn't have one and it will work on your tractor just fine. But after using my hoe for a while I am convinced that if I didn't have a subframe I'd be tearing my tractor apart. It is quite a bit smaller than yours, but I would put a subframe on larger tractors than that - the CUTs are not like the real "big boys". Much lighter duty and I think they need all the help they can get.

I doubt it is much more difficult to install / remove a BH with a subframe as opposed to one without. There's probably one extra pin involved with the subframe mount. I can put mine on in five or ten minutes (depending on if it is one of my lucky days or not /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

But do get one. They're great fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #7  
GAKubotaFan,

There are a few things you need to consider for your purchase. As far as strength, if the B7800 shares the same frame characteristics as the B2710 and B2910, the subframe should not be an issue. These tractors are already reinforced along the rear diff / trans housing with frame rails that will accomodate a 3 point mount. According to my backhoe manual, the smaller "B" series must be fitted with these type of stiffening frame rails to prevent all the load from being carried through the cast diff / trans housings, thus preventing a catastrophic failure. The 3 point mount will allow you the most versatility, however they also have a little more "give" than a subframe. I have the Kubota BL4690, 3 point mount, with separate PTO pump. I have been extremely pleased with the performance. All the hoes in this category are similar and perform well, but I preferred a factory matched system when using a three point mount. The subframe was never an issue with me because I have a mid-mount mower. I have not yet seen a subframe that is compatible with the mid-mount mower, but there may be one out there. Even with the 3 point mount, the mower must be pinned to the highest locked position if the backhoe and mower are installed at the same time. As far as the PTO pump vs tractor hydraulics, I think it's personal preference. There are pros and cons to both. The only other bit of advice is to make absolutely sure you install the heavy duty 3 point top link bracket. (I believe Kubota includes this in the backhoe package?) Whatever choice you make, follow the manufacturer's guideline and use it within it's limitations. You will have tons of fun digging!!

Mike

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #8  
Mike,

The Bradco 3375 with the 4 point (similar to the industrial Kubota TLB) connect into the 7800/2910 'dual frame' component under the tractor, also to the rear axle and frame of the tractor. From what I saw the Bradco 4 point setup and subframe is not quite as robust as my B21TLB but is quite good.

The pluses for this setup are improved ground clearance, easier R&R, shorter footprint, and potentially a MMM attached also, though this is TBD at this writing.

This is new from Bradco, although they are known entity for a high quality & reliable BH. The cost delta from a Woods 7500 w/Subframe to the Bradco 3375 4 Point setup is $520, with the Woods being around $5000 and Bradco $5520.

Carl

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #9  
GAKubotaFan
I have a B4690 <font color="orange">Kubota</font> Backhoe. It is a good match for a B7800, 27-2910 model tractor, especially if you are using a MMM. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Several TBN members beside myself use the B4690 on their tractors.
The one complaint I have is that the 3HP type backhoe is not as easy to put on the tractor as a sub frame type. I was able to solve this problem by making a dolly for it.
Do not worry about the 3PH versus sub frame argument with this match up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They will all work great for you. But the MMM mower issue will make you go for the B4690.
The major drawback to the B4690 backhoe is price. Depending on where you live the price will be $500 to $1000 more than the sub frame models. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Backhoe for a B7800 #10  
I am no expert on tractors. I haven't purchaced one yet. but I went to my kuboda dealer today and saw a b7800 with a
three point hitch mount it looked really sloppy and unsafe also the rops on this model was solid so the back of your head hit the middle of the rops. The dealers solution wrap a little bit of pipe foam rap around the rops so when you bump your head you dont hurt yourself. Of course if you roll the tractor you would squash your head like a gape with the low rops. my two cents. get a four point frame mounted backhoe I think theyare safer and if you have the fixed rops of the b7800 spring for a taller folding rops to protect your self. The dealer told me this smaller backhoe only dug 6" foot. I would rather have the bx22 with bachole it looks really estecally clean and the unit has a taller rops and a frame mounted back hoe that digs 6' feet. I know that the b7800 is a stronger tractor and I assume the backhoe is stronger. For me my meeds will be met ok with a bx22. take care david