B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hello

I am posting this in this forum as I would like opinions of existing owners.

I thought I would ping all you 7800/2910/3130 owners for your opinions on your tractors. I am looking at purchasing a 3130 or 7800 myself and have not been able to reconcile what I want.

I own 4 acres of wooded Pacific NW land, sloping, and need a tractor for pulling logs, light clearing, building tasks, etc.

The physical size of 7800 is attractive while the extra PTO power and lifting capacity of the 723 loader on the 3130 looks nice as well. I am stuck between size/power.

Those of you that own these units....

Does the 7800 have enough PTO power for what you want to do? Is the loader power/size suffcient?

Is the larger physical size of the 3130 and issue, or could it be when working around lot's of trees?

Thanks for your opinions!

Ben

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size
I own a B2910. It has plenty of power. As far as the loader goes I haven't ever had it give out. It has raised the back tires with a 72" blade for counterweight while trying to lift a big tree that has fallen. The loader has plenty of power. The PTO will have about the same power as the L3130. The L3130 has 24 PTO horsepower and the B2910/7800 has 22. The biggest decision I think that you need to have is if the L3130 is to big physical in size. That is what stopped me from going to it from the B2910. I needed the smaller size. Otherwise I believe that both tractors will do what you need.

Knowles

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size #3  
Hi Ben,
I have a B2910, and it does all I have asked of it. I have 18 acres of woods and about 5.5 acres of grass. I have used it for road building, smoothing gravel, moving brush, trees, power poles, and LOTS of dirt. I tilled the 5.5 acres of yard, then planted grass with a seeder, and now mow it. I moved a LOT of snow this winter from my 600' driveway, and dug out my neighbor from his 3-4' snow drifts. I've used it for moving logs, firewood, trash, 80 gallon air compressor, 10KW generator, tractor attachment mezzanine, and most everything else you can think of. I think it is probably the smartest money I have ever spent.
Having said all that, you are the only one that knows what you are going to do with a tractor, and what your priorities are. So any advice you get here will be based on our experiences and not your needs. I have been extremely happy with my Kubota, and I would highly recommend it for someone with similar needs to me. But by the same token I imagine that a similar sized green or blue tractor would have been sufficient for me also.
I went through the same process you are going through, and I just did lots of research, tried to figure out all the things I needed a tractor for (I didn't even scratch the surface), decided how much power and what size I needed, then I bought the next size bigger, more powerful tractor, and I think I hit the nail on the head.
Good Luck,

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size #4  
Hi Ben,

I've got a B2910 and I love it! I'm only on 2/3 of an acre. I don't use it for mowing, just for digging, snow removal and all sorts of other miscellaneous things.

As much as I love the B series, the new L series is quite a bit more tractor for not many more $$$. For most tractor work, you want as much weight on your side as possible. The exception to this is most finish mowing applications. If you're not going to do much finish mowing, and the difference in $$$ isn't an issue for you, go for the L. It weighs almost twice what the B series does. That's a lot more tractor for just a few more coins.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size #5  
Knowles said a mouthful on that post. You really need to match the tractor to your needs. I started off with a B1750, but really had to push it to get things done. I was asking too much of too small a tractor. So after checking out the B2910 I ended up with an L3010. Unlike Knowles, I needed the extra mass of the Grande L series. Though most of my work is in the 7 acres cleared, I harvest firewood off my 155 hillside acres and even with a logging winch found that I needed a hefty tractor to bring it home. With the smaller tractor I could drag home small logs. With Clementine I can drag home three entire hardwood trees at a time! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I believe the 2910 has a better power to weight ratio, which has its advantages, too. So you really need to sit down and define your needs. Hope this helps.

Pete
Kubota L3010 HST
Woods 7500 backhoe
Farmi winch
LandPride FDR7235 RFM
Blade and rake, etc

Just took delivery of my 7800 yesterday. It just fit in my garage with the ROPS down. I questioned my decision on size even at delivery. The delivery guy said the 7800 is what he would recommend for the homeowner. In his opinion people expect too much from the BX, the L would be too big to get in the tight spots (i.e garage), but the B series is perfect. I have 24.5 acres of mixed hilly, wet, grass, woods and he said the 7800 fit nice. I only have 3.5 hours on the machine, but so far I can see where it will save my back much pain. I have a friend who has a 3130 and he loves it. He's an ex-farmer, so sees the 3130 as a small tractor. For me the 7800 will do what I need.

Best of Luck, Frank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think that the L3130 has an indpendent PTO. This is really handy and a desirable feature.

I have a B2910 and just under 4 acres. It is perfect for me...

But...last time I was at my dealers, I looked at a L3130...sat on it...discovered that it NOT THAT MUCH bigger than my b2910...at least from the driver's seat! I know it IS bigger. Actually probably bigger than the L3710 that was sitting next to it...

I started to consider the possibility of trading up...but came back to reality pretty quick, as the B2910 is really all I need.

If you do go bigger than the B7800/B2910...go for the L3430. Same size as the 3130 but a little more HP.

But with only 4 acres...I'll bet the 7800/2910 will do all you will ask of it.

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size #9  
My new L3130 HST is due to be delivered Thursday. I too looked at the L3430 for the same reason Henro suggests - more HP. But, as was pointed out to me by the dealer, the 3 additional HP doesn't move you up into a larger impliment size group. Basically, anything an L3430 can do, the L3130 can do as well. The dealer didn't think the extra cost was justified and I tend to agree.

Now, having said that. If you like to "fudge" a little on the impliment sizes - then the extra 3 ponies would be important. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ B7800/2910/L3130 Opinions, Power, Size #10  
I just went throught this same problem. I have five acres, but maintain almost 8 when you add the drive way and great on my neighbor's land. I went with the B7800. The difference in cost of the B2910 wasn't worth the extras and their was a
B7800 sitting on the lot. The L3130 is a lot more tractor. For me it was too big for my land. If my land would handle it I would have got it. It is most important to buy what will work on your land.