Traction Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #1  

ytechie

Tractor
BX2660
Strange question for you...

Over 100 acres of farmland drain into my back yard. There is a slope where the water is supposed to go, and continues in a creek for a long distance (don't know where it goes) around a bend. (Photo of back yard and bend attached)

My house was built recently and the slope of the yard was changed in some places. The result is that water now sits in my back yard. It's as deep as 8" in some places.

Last weekend, I took the tractor back to the bend to get it dug out a bit to get the water flowing again. This was easy work for the FEL. The problem is, my turf tires got covered in dirt/clay, and were rendered completely useless. I had to use the FEL to push my way out, making a big mess.

I really need to get the tractor up to the creek to fix the problem areas, but I'm not sure how to get traction. One thought was to use pallets if I could get some, so that I could put those next to the creek and drive on them. Another thought was to use some boards.

This BX2660 is my first tractor, so I'm looking for any tricks of the trade. To get over a muddy area.

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 414
   / Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #2  
Could you just rent a mini excavator a dig a small drain thru it? Then shape it up nice and neat with tractor once it dries out.

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #3  
I take it that your turf tires just don't have the grip you need. What about getting tire chains?

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction
Could you just rent a mini excavator a dig a small drain thru it? Then shape it up nice and neat with tractor once it dries out.

I'm hoping to use what I have. It did an excellent job in the one spot I started with. I just couldn't get back out!

I take it that your turf tires just don't have the grip you need. What about getting tire chains?

Yeah. The second those treads fill with clay, they are completely neutralized. I had all 4 tires spinning with zero traction. I thought about tire chains. I'm not sure if they would fix the issue, or just buy me a little more time. Are they difficult to put on and take off? The ones I had for my knobby ATV times were a huge pain.

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #5  
Is the water coming from the creek into your yard, or is it going through the yard to get to the creek?

Might be better to raise the yard instead of working in the creek.

Bruce

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #6  
If you want more traction (without changing the tires) you will need chains.

Could you dig a small drain by hand to get the water level down, then work with the tractor after it dries out some (or wait till summer when it dries up by itself)?

Aaron Z

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #7  
If you do not have weight in the back and 4 wheel drive you may never be happy on that wet project. My 2wd tractor with ag tires works fine going forwards but is not useful backing up with a loaded bucket. Heck even unloaded I might have to push myself out when I am moving stuff in or out of the compost pile which has a little slope. Maybe do some hand work just to get rid of the pond so it can dry out enough to use your tractor. That is after you have done all the tractor digging you can do in the drier areas.

Is the water coming from the creek into your yard, or is it going through the yard to get to the creek?

Might be better to raise the yard instead of working in the creek.

Bruce

The fields drain into my hard, then go downhill to the creek. As long as I can lower some of the high spots, I'm confident it will drain into the creek.

If you do not have weight in the back and 4 wheel drive you may never be happy on that wet project. My 2wd tractor with ag tires works fine going forwards but is not useful backing up with a loaded bucket. Heck even unloaded I might have to push myself out when I am moving stuff in or out of the compost pile which has a little slope. Maybe do some hand work just to get rid of the pond so it can dry out enough to use your tractor. That is after you have done all the tractor digging you can do in the drier areas.

Stupid question- On clay, will more weight or less weight help? I had an empty bucket when backing up, but no weight on the back at all. I'm starting to think that I didn't have any weight on those rear tires.

/ Fixing Creek Issue - Need Traction #10  
You need chains and ballast. In this case, removable ballast may be wise so if you get truly buried, you can at least lighten the load...

Or rent the right equipment.