Hydaulic pump

/ Hydaulic pump #1  

Pete6114

Gold Member
Tractor
F2690(Sold) GR2120(Sold) L3240(sold) B1700(sold)
How can i turn up the pressure on the hydraulic pump on a B1700 to get more power?

/ Hydaulic pump #2  
Pete6114 - First, some disclaimers:

1) If your warranty isn't already gone, it will be if you up the pressure on your hydraulic system. I doubt it would adversely effect the engine warranty overall, but if you broke the shaft that drives the pump, forget it. If you burn up the pump or have any trouble with any other part of the hydraulic system, forget it.

2) Everything I know (or think I know) specifically applies to the L-series only, or is presented as theory only.

3) The cylinders on your tractor most likely have a maximum rating equivalent or very close to the maximum pressure setting on your pump, so if you up the pressure put out by the pump, expect cylinder failures or, at the very least, leakage.

4) Generally speaking, your tractor is designed around a set of parameters that are pretty well balanced. If you monkey with something, you can expect that you'll break or bend something sooner or later or, at the very least, wear out friction points a lot faster.

5) Everything you've ever heard or read about safety should be magnified 100 fold if you up the work limits of your tractor. If you aren't 100% aware of the limits of your equipment and an experienced operator, you're greatly increasing the chances that you'll hurt or kill yourself, and should get to the point where you're both before increasing the capabilities of your machine beyond its design limits.

6) There have been cases where people increased the pressure of their tractor hydraulics and the 3-point-hitch lift cylinder piston blew completely out of the rear axle case, destroying the case, the cylinder and, in at least one instance, injuring the operator.

7) Knowledge is power - we all know that, but we sometimes forget that it's often the power to get yourself in trouble.

Now, if you're still with me, and you still want to up the pressure of your hydraulic pump, read on.

The pressure of the pump (remember that I'm talking about the L-series in particular, but I'm pretty sure the B-series works the same way) is controlled by a pressure relief valve. This valve is a very simple one - it's just a ball valve with a spring. You increase the relief pressure by adding shims between the spring and the cap. You must have a gauge to check the pressure. I think you should never under any circumstances increase the relief valve setting more than 10%, if you increase it at all. You're going to need to get a shop manual, if you don't already have one, in order to find the valve, too, unless somebody else here can tell you.

Lastly, one more disclaimer: Just because you know how to do something, or know somebody else crazy enough to do it, doesn't mean you should, too. If you tear something up, you were warned. And if you do it, it might be best if you don't tell anybody. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif But, whatever you do, please don't interpret my telling you that it can be done as an endorsement of your doing it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Hydaulic pump #3  
Well said, Mark. And Pete, why do you want to increase the hydraulic pressure? Most of these compact tractors are not heavy enough to get enough traction to use all the power they have, so I'm just wondering.

Bird

/ Hydaulic pump #4  
Bird - Thanks. I think what he wants to do is increase the hydraulic system pressure that affects 3-point-hitch and especially, loader, capacities.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Hydaulic pump #5  
Mark,
You hit the nail right on the head when you explain about increasing a hydaulic pump!!

I'm not sure why Pete would even consider doing so with his B7100,for those models weren't made for speed and if anyone should try its going to cost $$$ in the long run. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Hydaulic pump #6  
Mark an others gave excellent responses. In addition, another question might be asked. Is the present system working as it should? A pressure test on the present system or a comparison of the hydraulic system with another machine might be good.

In addition, I assume that power, rather than speed, is the question. However, if speed is the problem, the system could be checked for flow restricting orifices. I've heard of such things purposefully installed. Seems odd, and I'm not sure why somebody would want to slow down their hydraulics. It's a thing to consider I guess.

/ Hydaulic pump #7  
Before you start I would have the pressure and flow checked to see if you have what is needed or supposed to be there. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to hook up and test and while hooked up they could adjust to a safe amount for the tractor.

/ Hydaulic pump
Reason for my question is, that i was told it can be done.
My B1700 works just fine(no problems)
I just stall out once in a blue moon when i use the bucket. Guess i shoud have bought a B2400..Oh well...
Thanks for all your advise.I'll just leave things as they are.
Thanks

/ Hydaulic pump #9  
Pete - We may not need to call an end to the matter just yet. When you say you "stall out", do you mean you stall the tractor engine when you're pushing into a pile, or that the loader movement stalls when you're trying to lift something?

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Hydaulic pump #10  
Mark, you're thinking someone's new to HST and using that pedal like it was an accelerator pedal (like some others of us have done), huh?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird