Hst fan bx23

/ Hst fan bx23 #1  

kipper79

So i decided to take a look under my bx23 today and noticed my hst fan is obliterated. All of the fins are gone and judging by how old the cut marks are this happend a while ago, like a hundred hours at least. I've read a lot of posts about how long it takes to replace the fan and I frankly don't have the time. We have a job to use it on next weekend running the jinma chipper and moving wood. Any thoughts on wiring up and mounting a little electric fan do do the task until I can fix it?

Tia, kip

/ Hst fan bx23 #3  
I'll chime in. As long as it has pretty good air flow, you should be fine! better than what it has been....;)

/ Hst fan bx23 #4  
Personally, I would not use an electric fan. I can picture that getting caught in the driveshaft at 2,200 rpm's and doing more damage to your tractor.

I also won't recommend using the tractor with the HST fan broken.

/ Hst fan bx23 #5  
this is probably a stupid question, but what is a "hst fan"? is it the same as the belt driven engine cooling fan, or is another one on the engine some place else? i always thought the hst hydraulics were cooled via front radiator by the same belt drive engine fan that helped air flow through the coolant radiator and such. i'm also not too familar with the bx series either. just curious. my rtv 900 has 2 fans. a belt drive one and an electric one. maybe this bx "hst fan" is simular to this???

/ Hst fan bx23 #6  
this is probably a stupid question, but what is a "hst fan"? is it the same as the belt driven engine cooling fan, or is another one on the engine some place else? i always thought the hst hydraulics were cooled via front radiator by the same belt drive engine fan that helped air flow through the coolant radiator and such. i'm also not too familar with the bx series either. just curious. my rtv 900 has 2 fans. a belt drive one and an electric one. maybe this bx "hst fan" is simular to this???

There's drive shaft from the engine back to the hydrostatic transmission (HST). There is a fan bolted to that shaft, back at the HST, that blows air toward the HST. The HST has a bunch of fins on it to help the air cool it. It's a plastic fan, has no fan guard, and if anything gets up in there, the fans self-destructs. It's about a 3-4 hour job to replace the fan. Not pretty.

/ Hst fan bx23 #7  
OP: I'd say the electric fan is better than nothing.

/ Hst fan bx23 #8  

Here's a pic of it on my BX25. It's underneath the tractor.

Attachments

• Kubota BX25 Fan Protector.jpg
    Kubota BX25 Fan Protector.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 382
   / Hst fan bx23 #9  
that looks just like my BX24...
I thought I heard that the BX25's had somewhat of a factory installed shield ?

Pete

/ Hst fan bx23 #10  
Look up the BX23 HST fan threads not as bad as the BX24.