BX 23 Transmission Problems

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #1  

rickoshay

Tractor
Kubota BX23
HST Problems. I have a 2005 BX23 that has had two transmission failures. The first failure was at 176 hrs and the one yesterday was 89 hours later.

I was using the backhoe for approximately an hour when I return to the storage area and park the tractor outside. At that point everything seemed to be working fine.

After about 4 hrs I went out to park the tractor in the pole barn and experienced problems with the engine wanting to stall when engaging the directional petal. I then checked fluid levels and found everything to be OK.

I then tried again going forward and reverse experencing the same problem. Engine even wanted to stall when the transmission was in the neutral position and engaging the directional petal.

Does anyone have ideas what is causing these failures.

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #2  
First guess would be plugged up fuel filter(s). When was the last time you changed them? Did you recently refuel it? Maybe a bad tank of diesel. From what you're describing, it sounds like it's stalling out under even a slight load which sounds like a fuel issue.

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems
HST Problems. I have a 2005 BX23 that has had two transmission failures. The first failure was at 176 hrs and the one yesterday was 89 hours later. I was using the backhoe for approximately an hour when I return to the storage area and park the tractor outside. At that point everything seemed to be working fine. After about 4 hrs I went out to park the tractor in the pole barn and experienced problems with the engine wanting to stall when engaging the directional petal. I then checked fluid levels and found everything to be OK. I then tried again going forward and reverse experencing the same problem. Engine even wanted to stall when the transmission was in the neutral position and engaging the directional petal. Does anyone have ideas what is causing these failures.

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #4  
Fuel filters the first thing I thought of also.

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #5  
Oh yeah, and make sure the brake is off :laughing:

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #6  
... the engine wanting to stall when engaging the directional petal.

Seat safety switch malfunction? Mine will have those symptoms if I move the pedal when standing beside the tractor.

Bruce

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #7  
Seat safety switch malfunction? Mine will have those symptoms if I move the pedal when standing beside the tractor.

Bruce

I'm with him interlock problems, not the transmission,

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #8  
Yeah, sounds like it could be dirty contacts in the switch under the bottom of the seat. The switch senses the weight of the operator and if the operator is not sitting in the seat ( or the switch contacts are dirty), the engine will shut off if either the forward or reverse pedal is depressed.
As a temporary fix, you could short the contacts in the plug that attaches to the switch. If the stalling problem is resolved, then you should clean, repair or replace the switch.

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #9  
I would remove the fuse or wire off the solenoid for the interlocks and see what happens.

Doing this you wont bee able to stop the engine but will prove the safety circuit is the problem hook it all back up to shut it down.

tom

/ BX 23 Transmission Problems #10  
Sounds like the engine is loading up when depressing the treadle?

Will the tractor roll in neutral?

What was the cause of the two previous failures?

My previous tractor (case 446) had this issue in the winter once...turns out there was water in the hydraulic oil that caused the transaxle to freeze up.