WA member Kubota BX24

/ WA member Kubota BX24 #11  
So I know there are no real forests in Seattle proper, and you would need a permit from the city to cut down any tree larger than probably 1.5" in diameter, where exactly do you live? I live West of Chehalis but grew up in Auburn.

/ WA member Kubota BX24
I have property in the central cascades. Most of my trees are about a foot diameter but here and there up to 20". It's a beautiful place. The trees grow slow there, so it will be some years before there is significant commercial value (if it doesn't burn up!) . I'm currently enjoying feeding a little bandsaw mill. Making boards is more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

/ WA member Kubota BX24 #13  
Sounds like you are on the East side of the Cascades. The slow growth side.

Down here in SWW my firs grow about 1.5' per year. They are like weeds to be kept under control.

/ WA member Kubota BX24 #14  
Hey neighbor, I am further east of the Cascades in the foot of the Huckleberry Range just above Lake Roosevelt. I have about 90% Ponderosa pine and it grows almost as fast as Alder on the west side, but with less than 15 inches of rain a year. Anyway, it is a great place to be.

BTW I also have a place on the West side near Port Orchard. My Grandparents farm was about 10 miles south of Chehalis. I learned to love tractors there on Grandpa's 8n.

/ WA member Kubota BX24 #16  
Welcome! I am across the big pond from you, have 21 acres of forest that I just logged off this summer. Will replant next spring to grow a new one. I have a BX25, same as yours just newer. I work it hard and it performs well. Bought new in APR 2011 and just hit 600 Hrs. Have a rider mower for the yard around the house but my LP brush hog chops down and keeps down the blackberries and other trash such as alder. Will also start a Christmas tree plot (1AC to start) next spring. Have 150 nobles ready to plant. Now I need a small dozer to cut some trails for forest maint as that is required to keep my property tax forest exmption active. makes the tax on land near $0.

Ron

/ WA member Kubota BX24
I kinda want a small dozer too.

My current FAVORITE accessory has been the 4 foot brush fork (bolted to my bucket). It's saved SO much time doing my burning. I can make a HUGE pile of brush, logs, sticks on the brush fork, then drive the BX over to the burnpile, and drop the whole thing ontop of the pile. And since they are 4 feet long, they move FAST when you rotate the bucket, I can 'flick' burning logs ontop of the pile. And reach over the far side, pull logs back ontop of the pile. Also I need less burnpiles too, because the travel time is minimal. For anyone doing slash burning I highly recommend a brush fork.

/ WA member Kubota BX24 #18  
I kinda want a small dozer too.

My current FAVORITE accessory has been the 4 foot brush fork (bolted to my bucket). It's saved SO much time doing my burning. I can make a HUGE pile of brush, logs, sticks on the brush fork, then drive the BX over to the burnpile, and drop the whole thing ontop of the pile. And since they are 4 feet long, they move FAST when you rotate the bucket, I can 'flick' burning logs ontop of the pile. And reach over the far side, pull logs back ontop of the pile. Also I need less burnpiles too, because the travel time is minimal. For anyone doing slash burning I highly recommend a brush fork.

Sodo,

I am in the process of making a brushfork, will fit on in place of the FEL bucket to get more lift capacity, eventually will do the third function and make a grapple to hold stuff on the forks. I use the FEL clamp on forks now (have three) but they have limitations on weight sticking out so far. Have a huge pile from the logging I will burn soon. Several over 3' stumps the loggers put up on top before they lef so will take a lot of fuel to keep it going. Over here the restrictions are workable, permit for a 10' burn is good for 2 weeks.

Ron