Chipper

/ Chipper #1  

tonylumps

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
Need a chipper.Will my 1860 have enough power for some light work around the house Or should I go with a self powered unit. Really do not want to deal with another gas Engine. Then again do not want to over tax my 1860. Was looking at Mighty Mac PTO and gas powered. Thanks Tony

Last edited:
   / Chipper #2  
Your Kubota has 18 gross engine HP, which means your PTO HP is probably around 15 HP. That's pretty low for a chipper and will definitely limit the size of material you can chip (I'm going to estimate 2"-3" diameter branches...at most). The weight of the chipper will also be a factor.
So, what kind of material (and how big) are you planning on chipping?

BTW, while you're looking around, check out the DR chippers. No personal experience, but they're pretty light weight.

/ Chipper #3  
I went with the MacKissic Mighty Mac free standing gasoline unit even though I own a BX2660. My reasons were/are...1. It can be towed by any vehicle around town to help my kids and relatives around their homes. 2. It can be set up in tight quarters to put the machine where the work is. I'm not commercial but have used it quite a lot in the past 3 years. If I remember right, this is their smallest unit that is road towable; thus it was the least expensive allthough the PTO unit of comparable capacity is cheaper since there is no engine. So far it has been trouble free with my penchant for maintenance. Around my 3 acres I tow it with my Case 448 (garden tractor) to where I want it set up then disconnect to give me the room to work. Hope this helps. Mike P.S. Actually the "shredding" aspect of the machine is probably used more than the "chipping". Over three inches, I burn it.

/ Chipper #4  
Unless you need it constantly, I'd rent one. The rental units are big enough to swallow a tree, they get the job done fast. Whatever you get be careful, these things are an accident waiting to happen.

/ Chipper #5  
I use a PTO driven DR chipper on my BX2660 with out any problems. I normally only chip branches about 2.5 inch diameter or smaller. 3 inch diameter is usually firewood. I do not recall the recommended HP for it.

/ Chipper
I just found a used like New Mighty Mac Gas powered with the 4 wheels ,10 horse power Retails for 1700.00 asking 975.00. I just don't like draining the carbs on them everytime I put the gas powered Equip. away for any length of time. With this corn gas you have to do it more often I have 2 motorcycles,snowblower, Leaf blower, Power washer, Generator What is 1 more gas engine gonna hurt I guess . Like I said don't want to hurt my tractor.Thanks Tony

/ Chipper #7  
Need a chipper.Will my 1860 have enough power for some light work around the house Or should I go with a self powered unit. Really do not want to deal with another gas Engine. Then again do not want to over tax my 1860. Was looking at Mighty Mac PTO and gas powered. Thanks Tony

You'll be somewhat capacity limited by the low HP. You'll be in the lower end for some of the wallenstein chippers, and could probably still get some good work done with one. Check out youtube for some videos of them running on smaller tractors to get an idea... I've got a BX42 on my tractor and the heavy flywheel helps to keep it going through bigger stuff. I would check out the BX32 for your size tractor. The chipper openings on the wallensteins are much bigger (mine's 4" x 10"), which makes it behave like a much larger unit and helps with branchy stuff.

/ Chipper #8  
I have BX2200 (17 PTO hp) with a Wallenstein BX42. I like the heavy flywheel with 4 cutting knives (vs their BX32). Yes, I am on the low end of hp but have not encountered any problems. Should not be a problem for "light work". I usually stop chipping beyond 3 1/2" as I consider that firewood already. But $$ for infrequent, light use? Rental might be more cost effective.

/ Chipper #9  
I just found a used like New Mighty Mac Gas powered with the 4 wheels ,10 horse power Retails for 1700.00 asking 975.00. I just don't like draining the carbs on them everytime I put the gas powered Equip. away for any length of time. With this corn gas you have to do it more often I have 2 motorcycles,snowblower, Leaf blower, Power washer, Generator What is 1 more gas engine gonna hurt I guess . Like I said don't want to hurt my tractor.Thanks Tony

Well, owning equipment entails maintenance of that equipment...that's the trade off.
That gas powered chipper sounds pretty good...I wouldn't hesitate too long if you're considering buying it. Good chippers sell fast.

/ Chipper #10  
I have a highly satisfactory Wallenstein PTO driven BX42s chipper driven by a Kubota B3300SU // 33-hp // 25-hp PTO tractor. B3300 tractor is an increment larger than yours and Wallenstein BX42s chipper would be too large for your tractor.

Wallenstein makes their model BX32 for your size tractor. This is Wallenstein's smallest PTO drive chipper and the only one which has a V-belt, which is used to increase the drive speed of the rotor on the BX32.

Wallenstein Canadian manufactured chippers are more money than a DR chipper but they are much heavier duty. BX32 weighs 320 pounds. Chipping is heavy work. You want the heaviest duty implement you can afford to avoid frustration.

I bought my BX42s new, via eBay, from Iowa Farm Equipment. Iowa Farm Equipment has direct comparison of Wallenstein chippers to DR chippers on their web page.

I consider DR stuff in the "home use" category. A little delicate for my taste....although DR sells a lot of units in many categories.

One last comment: Wallenstein PTO chippers personify the KISS PRINCIPLE. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Do you want to maintain a GAS engine on a stand along chipper? Torque on a gas engine is NOTHING compared to torque on a diesel tractor engine. And torque is what turns your PTO...and chipper rotor.