Stupid Block Heater Questions...

/ Stupid Block Heater Questions... #1  

bcarter

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
OK...we've had our first snap of really cold weather for this season (temps in the single numbers) here in southern New England and I tried out the block heater on my B2710 for the first time.

The good news is that it seems to heat the block quite nicely (so I guess it lives up to its name.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif), and the tractor starts up even smoother that it did in the late fall. But there are a couple of things that I'd like some help/opinions with/on.

First...the block heater makes a very faint "sizzling" sound when its plugged in. I had to listen really hard to figure out that it was coming from under the hood of the tractor - so I'm talking very faint sound here. Its definitely coming from the heater since it goes away when I unplug it (a very scientific study.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). Are these things supposed to make any noise? This appears to be in the coolant part of the block so maybe I'm cooking a little coolant?

Second (and possibly related)...I noticed a small puddle of anti-freeze (the area of dampness was maybe 3 inches in diameter with a wet spot in the center where the drips had hit) on the floor after the heater ran for several hours. I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from, but it was dropping out between the tractor frame and the loader frame (where the two bolt together), so the leak had to be above that. It doesn't appear to be coming out anywhere near the block heater itself. There is a rubber tube in the vacinity of the dripping, but it appears to be a vent for the crankcase and it appeared to be dry inside. Now, I'm no grease monkey, but I do know that in general, things like leaks are not a good thing... Has anyone else noticed any leaks when they run their block heater? Any thought provoking comments on what might be happening here?

Thanks...

Bill

/ Stupid Block Heater Questions... #2  
Yes, block heaters do make the sizzle noise you describe. You are heating the water with (my guess) a 1000 water water heater. My Ford diesel makes the same noise, that's how I tell its working. About the leak, check around where the heater is installed, and all hose connections. Since the water is expanding, you may be getting it hotter than normal, with heat localized, may be causing a leak not normally noticed.

/ Stupid Block Heater Questions... #3  
Bill,
Even the heater on my Kubotas does that also.
The dripping should be your over flow tube.

What your mixture of water to antifreeze,you might want to double check.

Several hours seem a long time for single temps,but when go old New England gets week after week of below zero I could almost see several hours.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Stupid Block Heater Questions... #4  
As mentioned the heaters do make a noise. As mention this how I tell its working. The coolant leak may not be directly related directly to your your block heater. It may be the coldest temp you tractor has seen in a while, everything gets contracted due to the cold and the added vibration of a diesel. So check all the clamps (with a tool) to make sure they are good and tight. Block heater are well worth the money.

Derek

/ Stupid Block Heater Questions... #5  
We've seen it happen before that the clamps or the heater itself may leak when the block heater is first used. Take the time to look over the area and see where antifreeze is coming from and don't forget if you are feeling around with the block heater on it is hot!!!