Hydraulic Piston Rings

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was giving my B7500 its first 10-hour FEL greasing and I noticed on each of the hydraulic cylinders there's a ring around the piston that slides freely up and down it. It looks like it's intended to keep crud out of the cylinder, but it won't when the piston is extended and the ring has slid down. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings #2  
Could you supply a picture? I think what you are refering to is the ROD seal. The piston is actually inside the cylinder bore.

I am not aware of any loose rings on my LA351 FEL.

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings #3  
That little o-ring is there so the paint won't stick to the seal and rod. You can cut it off, or just leave it if you like. This has been talked about many times before on TBN! Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings
I'll see if I can take one tonight and post it tomorrow. I'm not familiar with hydraulics (yet), but you're probably right about it being the rod seal. When the FEL goes up and the hydraulics are extended, it slides up and down on the shiny part of the tube that goes into the orange part of the tube, and it *looks* like it ought to stay affixed to the orange part.

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings
Thanks, Von -- yes, that helps a lot. The rings do have orange paint on the outside. I'll go back to my happy tractoring and not worry about it.

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings #6  
Yep, Von's got it right. That kept paint out of the cylinder when they painted it. Now it serves no further purpose unless you'd like to repaint it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hydraulic Piston Rings #7  
Appreciate the info.....I too wondered why the little rubber donuts were not connected to anything...great to know!