Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Hydraulic Tip \'N Tilt

Time to revisit an old topic. A long time ago, this topic was discussed at some length and I had decided that I really only wanted a single spool valve and hydraulic top link. Well, I changed my mind and want a hydraulic top link and the lower left link to have both tip and tilt.

I had understood earlier that the way to go on the B2710 was to run a hydraulic hose from the power beyond port on the loader valve to the inlet of the new valve. However, the LA401 loader valve has the outlet (return line) to a fitting on the tank, then there is a hydraulic block with a pump port and line going to the inlet on the loader valve. The power beyond port on the valve also has a hose going back to the power beyond port on the hydraulic block (and that is the way the oil gets to the 3-point). So I'm not sure how you could use the power beyond port on the loader valve to get to another valve and then have the power beyond port on it going back to the hydraulic block . . ., and then you'd still have to get a return line from the outlet port on the second valve to somewhere?

Anyway, I still don't have the tip and tilt, both because of trying to save on money, and because I haven't figured out exactly where to mount something as big as a two spool valve, and because I couldn't figure any good way to route hoses from the loader valve to a second valve.

I had asked my Kubota salesman whether Kubota had a complete tip and tilt kit and he had told me they do for some of the bigger tractors, but not the B2710. I have since discovered, from my workshop and parts manual, that Kubota has an "optional" rear hydraulic outlet kit (block, two O-rings, two bolts, and an instruction manual) that bolts onto the right side of the tractor towards the rear; costs $68 and some change.

So . . ., is anyone familiar with this? Sure seems to me that this kit would be the way to go for rear hydraulic outlets, wouldn't it? And has anyone else done it? It appears to me that I would need an open center valve, but would not need power beyond on it.

You might say I'm "hydraulically challenged" but it would probably be more accurate to say I'm plumb handicapped. Help me with some comments.

Bird

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #2  
Re: Hydraulic Tip \'N Tilt

Don't have a Kubota, but I do have a JD 790 that I added the rear hydraulic outlet. There kit replaces the line from the power beyond on the loader valve to the 3 point with a line to rear with a hose with quick disconnects that feeds a line to the 3 Point. To tap the source, you disconnect the line and put a valve in series, with the output connected to the return side of the disconnect. Sounds simular to what the Kubota kit will allow you to do.

Anyway, I added tip and double tilt by using a 3 spool valve in the circuit, and three 2 inch cyclinders modified with swivel ends instead of eye or clevis. Only downside is it takes a bunch of hoses. Had a problem with where to mount the valve, didn't want to drill holes and there is not much available space on JD 790, so I made a pedistal for them on the right side of the tractor ahead of the brake petals (about where Kubota mounts their valves for FEL. Not ideal place when trying to watch a rear implement and making adjustments. But would be great for 4 in 1 bucket or front mount attachment.

Double tilt is neat because I get a heap of tilt with 8 inch travel on each side link (have to make sure the tool and arms don't bind.

Purchased the valve and cyclinders at Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE. and hoses locally.

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #3  

Well Bird, if you are "hydrauliclly handicapped" I guess I am in good company. I sure will read this post with interest as the experts share their information. The only thing I can offer is that the tip and tilt is offered by Kubota for the B21 and these are similar tractor. The B21 already has hydraulics to the rear for the backhoe but once you get a feed you might see if this kit would work. Just a thought.

MarkV

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #4  

What is a "tip and Tilt"
and I do I really really need one but just don't know it yet?

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #5  

Tip - when you have a hydraulic cyclinder in place of your 3 point top link, tip permits easy adjustments that you would get from adjusting your top link. Great for box blades when you are trying to use it in both directions.

Tilt - when you have a hydraulic cyclinder in place of an adjustable side link between your upper 3 point arm and your lower three point arm (of if you are like me replace both left and right arms). This allows you to adjust implements up or down on left or right side. Great for ditching or sloping a bank.

Hope this helps.

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #6  

Bird, coincidentaly, I'm getting ready to add top and tilt to my old International 454. I've been considering a double tilt set of cylinders, I've used them before and there are definitely some great advantages like extra tilt and greater ability to tilt to either side, particularly helpful on long roads where your making a trench or ditch on one side of the road and don't want to travel all the back to the begining since you can just turn around and tilt the other way. That however is of less importance then the top (tip) and just being able to tilt on demand. I will have at least 3 valves, top, tilt and one for the hydraulic rippers. Idealy 4 will be best. I have easily figured out how to tie it in to the existing, but I am sure that it is different on yours and going to your dealer may be a huge bonus. I would like to know from any of the folks responding here where I can get via mail order some Gannon cylinders and valves, I like the quality of the Gannon componets. I am also considering a set of Michelin 17.9 24's for the rear of this tractor as MChalkley is very impressed by their performance, good luck should you add this, it is the best way to go, once you have TNT you will wonder why it took so long to get it. Rat...

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #7  

Here is a picture of the Gannon Top and Tilt setup. The top Link and Right side link have been replaced with Hydraulic 4" cylinders to control angle of implements on the 3PH. The 3 spool valves are mounted on the right fender. The third valve is to control the hydraulic scarifier teeth on the box scraper. Hope this helps.

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt

Looks like a nice set-up for that L4310, but I surely would not want anything as big as 4" cylinders for a B2710, and of course, my main concerns are the source for the hydraulic power from the tractor, and finding a two spool valve that's as small as possible to mount on the tractor where it's not in the way.

Bird

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt #9  

Bird the block that your talking about I believe is where both your supply and return hoses tie into. If it's what I'm thinking about then you will just need an open center spool valve where the two hoses would tie into. Then just plumb in the cylinders and your up town.

So from side tap on the tractor--a hose runs up to the spool valve in port and then a hose from the out side of the valve back to the side tap of the tractor. Then on each spool of the valve an up hose and a down hose going to the cylinder.----simple as can be/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Hydraulic Tip 'N Tilt

Gordon, that's what I'm thinking, too. I was just hoping someone had done this on a B2710 (or B2910 which of course I'm only guessing is the same). I haven't seen one of these optional rear hydraulic outlet blocks, but can't imagine what it would be for except that. The other thing I'm unsure of is which valve I would need. I would like for it to be as small and light weight as possible, but of course it has to be adequate for the amount of flow. I've noticed a lot of valves are rated for 20 to 30 gpm, but the tractor has dual pumps with a total output of 9.5 gpm (6.4 for the 3-point and 3.1 for the power steering). I haven't seen any valves with the lower flow rating although one company I talked to said they had a smaller, cheaper two spool valve rated for 6 gpm. Would that work? Or do I really need one that's rated higher?

Bird