Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    GR2120

Default BX Too Heavy For Mowing

I know a lot of people use their BX to mow their lawns.I have started to notice depressions in my lawn from the tires on my BX 2360.I try to mow in different patterns to avoid this but in some areas it is not possible such as mowing around the house or garage.The tractor,mower deck,fluids,and me is probably around1750 to 1800 pounds which seems like quite a bit for a mowing tractor.I have been seriously considering selling the BX and getting a GR 2120 as I only use the BX for mowing and the GR is about 500 to 600 pounds lighter.Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this and if they notice depressions from mowing with their BX tractor.I realize the GR is not as much tractor as a BX but for strictly mowing I am thinking it should do just as good a job.I don't need a 4WD tractor for mowing but it makes it a lot easier as I have some hilly areas to mow.This is why I am considering one or the other of these two tractors.

Tractor
    '11 Deere 1026R

Easy. Trade the bx in on a new simplicity prestige awd.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

Default Re: BX Too Heavy For Mowing

Yes, mine does it some, but not that bad. Its not bad enough I would even think about getting rid of it. The truth is, a push mower probably gives a better cut than any kind of rider.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800

Why did you spend that much money on a tractor just to mow? I saw an add on a Husky 0-turn mower today for $3885.00. If all you are doing is mowing, sell that bad boy. Get a zero-turn, and pocket the rest. No-brainer IMO.

Great little tractor though, huh

Tractor
    GR2120

Quote Originally Posted by RJD2516 View Post
    Why did you spend that much money on a tractor just to mow? I saw an add on a Husky 0-turn mower today for $3885.00. If all you are doing is mowing, sell that bad boy. Get a zero-turn, and pocket the rest. No-brainer IMO.

Great little tractor though, huh
    When I bought the BX I had future plans for it other than mowing but you know what they say about the best laid plans.My situation now is that I will probably use it for mowing only.Other than the financial loss I will take from selling it,I would have the GR, but that is what is making me question selling it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX2200

I have a BX2200 with the ag (bar) tires on it and have mowed for 10 years now, without rutting up my yard. The key for me is to not mow when the yard is saturated from rains. I also mow 4 directions staggering tires every so often just be sure that I don't have issues.

I would mow this way even with a lightweight craftsmen (MTD) garden tractor in the past as well. The best your yard will look is by cutting with a push mower, but for me, that ain't gonna happen!
    Brian R.
    Piqua, OH

2003 Kubota BX2200
    J.D. Flex 71 planter
    Howse 14" bottom plow
    48" disc harrow
    50" chisel plow
    10ft boom sprayer

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's

Gee I mowed with a BX23, a B3200, and now a Grand L3540. As others have said before, mow when it's not soaking and change your directions. I mow about 2 acres and do not have an issue, but then again my grass is green but like a golf course either.
    DevilDog
    He is your Friend, Your Partner, Your Defender, Your Dog. You Are His Life, His Love, His Leader. He Will Be Yours, Faithful And True, To The Last Beat Of His Heart. ...Unknown

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810 HST, Kioti DK35SE HST

I mow with my zero which weighs about 900lbs, the 2810Hst Mahindra is heavy and my Kioti Dk35SE HSt has loaded rears and FEL on and leaves no marks. Unless you have a lot of ambution bottled up some where keep doin what your doin, life is short man! . . . John
    Lord, Help me to be the man my dog thinks i am . . .John. Mahindra 2810HST, 108H loader with Quick tach buckets and forks. Kioti DK35SE HST with loader, Hyd. top link and second set of rear remotes, 60" and 66" buckets, Kubota 900 RTV and a bunch of other good stuff
    Buy more equipment, It makes life easier.!

Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II, Mahindra 1526

My NH 1030 weighs 1517lbs empty and add on another 521lbs 6ft rear finish mower to that and I sink in less and never get stuck like I did before with a Toro Zero Turn ZX480 mower with a 48" mower deck. Lighter is not always better in soft ground. It is how wide your tires are and how you deliver the power and weight from the wheels to the ground.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

IF you are noticing depressions, then you are mowing when its still wet. When soil is claylike, wet and still cold then it will "part" when driving over it. You just gotta time it better between rain and drying time, otherwise just wait a bit longer. My yard does the same, and there are couple areas that I just skip until it dries out.

Right now its spring, you just need to wait a few weeks before saying its not worth it with BX as reason to sell. I really don't think its too heavy all summer long mowing. I do admit though- I have a el cheapo mower for 200 bucks just for keeping grass low in wet areas if it gets too high. You can't beat the dependability with a BX.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast