Is the ROPS really needed?

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #1  

kbota

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850-sold to buy Kbota Grand L3010
I sure hope my post doesn't incite the wrath of the safety police, but I would like to get a few thoughts on removing the ROPS. Here is my situation; I have a Grand L with FEL that I wouldn't dream of removing the ROPS from. However, I recently acquired a BX2200 strictly for mowing. During routine maintenance this weekend, I even removed the lift arms, and toplink.

I'm finding the ROPS sure hits a lot of limbs mostly on fruit trees, and even creates a situation causing more trim work. Have also lost a number of peaches recently from the ROPS hitting them.

I know the BX is considered a tractor, and is equipped just like it's big brothers, but, on the other hand, it's not much larger than the JD riding mower I have, which did not even come with a ROPS.

In short, I'm thinking of taking it off. Give me a good reason why I shouldn't.

K

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #2  
It's your tractor... you know the risks. I would not let anyone else drive it. (too many lawyers out there) :mad: ;)

I've disconnected my clutch safety switch... after looking at all the possibilities.

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #3  
If you use no rear implements, no towing, no front implements, and your land is flat, it is probably as safe as a riding mower.

BX-Series-BX1860-Mower.jpg

If you don't meet those conditions, get a folding ROPS from a BX25, and fold it down when mowing under your fruit trees.

BX-Series-BX25-Backhoe.jpg

Bruce

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #4  
Raise your hand if you have tipped your Kubota over?

Not many will respond.

You decide.

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #5  
You don't need one if You don't roll it over. But that's why its there and that's why I keep mine up.

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #6  
   / Is the ROPS really needed?
Let me add that my BX does not have a FEL.

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #8  
Kbota, you are asking an unfair question that no one with any common sense would advise you to take it off. But I took the one off my GF1800 mower so I could get under trees.;)

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #9  
Is the ROPS really needed? I'd have to say no, it's not needed at all... unless you roll your tractor.

/ Is the ROPS really needed? #10  
I believe the primary argument for a rops on a "BX mower" vs a "lawn tractor mower" is weight, getting pinned by either won't be fun , but the BX would be much more likely to cause crush injuries or suffocation. That said if you don't wear your seatbelt with your rops on that is probably more dangerous than just removing it.

Ray