Oil & Fuel off road fuel

/ off road fuel #21  
Wife has a 500 gallon tank and the guy delivers her fuel now says everything they get is low sulfur. She runs it in the IH 574, the 686 turbo, the CaseIH 5140 and the Kubota L3940. Knock on wood there's been no fuel problems yet except the rubber parts of all the fuel lines had to be replaced on the 5140 after 20 years.

/ off road fuel #22  
2*on a 2011 bx1860 any side effects of runing off road fuel
4*since it is for a church and can get it untaxed and can save 20 cents a gallon.
2*No becaus there is only 1 fuel ULSD.
4*Off road can be purchased by everybody.
6*Every one I have talked with stated the only difference today is the color of the die they put in it .
8*Most everone I know runs the red fuel.
6*That's almost rite. It would be more correct to say they are really the same because the dye don't change a thing about it .
8*I hope none of them run it on the road.
in my area a few years ago, there was a difference in the sulfer amount. the on road was transisitioning to low sulfer but the off road was keeping its higher sulfer content. (15 ppm compared to 500ppm)
10* since then the two types have met together and are now both ultra low sulfer.
i do use the power service additive most of the time, especially winter. it has the slick diesel in it
12* to help with lubricisity which the sulfer actually used to do.
10*The two types didn't really merge they simply stopped production of the high sulfer .
12*Sulfer is not a lubricant.
14*with newer engines that were built after ulsd came out do you still need to run an additive?
16*in my 85 vw golf i use walmart 2cycle oil every time i fill up and every few month i will mix it with power service
14*I use PS.
16*I would never mix oil of any kind in any diesel fuel .
18*The pumps by me are labeled off road with 500ppm and the road diesel is ultra low under 15ppm.
I do not know much about it as this is my first and only diesel.
20*I would hate to wreck the engine in the long haul.
18*They never removed or changed the old out dated labels.
20*You can't wreck it with the only fuel available.
If you are afraid ot wrecking it you will just have to park it because ULSD is the only choice you have.
the place were i am going to get the offroad says high sulfer 500ppm. i thought that it was all 15ppm in 2010.
22*looks like they never got around to removing the old sitckers yet.
22* That' how it looks to me.
24*Our off road diesel is higher sulfur content.
26*Dealer told me what I'd save in fuel cost was not worth the valve jobs I'd have to have done.
28*If the off road had the low sulfer content, I'd use it, 30*but since ours doesn't, I'm listening to my dealer.
24*Must be old and stale since they quit making it 2 years ago.
26*Sounds like he don't know what he's talking about .
28*It probably does since they shut down production of the high Sulfer years ago.
30*How can yours be high sulfer when they quit
producing it ??????
32*When I first got my mahindra 2615 I ran on road diesel because the dealer said it would not make any difference. one day while working I started losing power and loaded up on the trailer and took to the dealer,
34*he dumped a quart of transmission fluid in the tank and almost immediately it started running fine.
36*he told me to run off road and should I not have any issues going forward, so
38*I continue to use it.
32*I don't see how this could be a fuel problem when the only stuff made now is U L S D :confused2: .
34*He told you wrong because when you get off road it will still be ULSD.
36*I would never put oil or transmission fluid in the fuel.
38*Your dealer contradicts himself and yet you keep doing as he says. :confused:

Last edited:
   / off road fuel #24  
These threads are always so fun to read. Kinda makes a person's head spin, but still fun. :)

Diesel fuel is diesel fuel these days. Off road is dyed red and can not be put in on-road vehicles (generally if it has a licence plate, more or less). Same fuel, one has taxes paid on it, the other is dyed red, same exact product.

Home heating fuel is very very often the exact same off-road fuel from the exact same bulk tank supply; tho it could possibly be blended differently without the additives. Generally it is too expensive to maintain a seperate bulk tank for this, so nearly all home heating fuel is actually diesel fuel, but I'd ask my supplier before I used it for engine fuel.

--->Paul