B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!!

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!! #11  
Gary Fowler said:
There is no way that a correctly engineered or operation of a 3 point hitch should leak down when the engine is running. With the engine off I could understand if if a valve was leaking a bit on an old tractor,but to say that is normal and no way to fix is would be totally BS for a tractor manufacturer to even make something like that. So everyone is saying for instance if you are mowing you have to lock it in place or set it on the gauge wheels to maintain the height or if pulling a plow you would constantly be going deeper and deeper till the tractor stalled. NOT a very good scenario, Heck even an old 8n with 1940 technology would hold the lift at the same height even with a leaky valve it would only drop a 1/4" before the hydraulics kicked it back up. I see that they claim to have position control but not draft control. Well if it leaks down when running it isnt position control or any other control. It should hold it within that 1/4" if that is what it has.

Quarter inching valve is not position control. They are two completely different types of hydraulic outfit on a 3 pt hitch. To say that a quarter inching valve should work like position control is like saying a correctly engineered motorcycle should have four wheels and an enclosed cab, like a car. They are just two different things and they are that way on purpose.

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!!
What is the "purpose "Of the 1/4 inching valve?? If that is a proper question ?? Why would it be designed to leak down ? What is the benefit ??

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!! #13  
What is the "purpose "Of the 1/4 inching valve?? If that is a proper question ?? Why would it be designed to leak down ? What is the benefit ??

1/4" valve is just a normal hydraulic valve. Like a lot of valves they tend to settle with weight. I bet your loader settles if left in the air and it will settle faster with a load of gravel in the bucket. Plus there will be some leakage in the cylinders. Add it all together and things will settle. That is why some prefer position control.:thumbsup:

1/4" valve is just a normal hydraulic valve. Like a lot of valves they tend to settle with weight. I bet your loader settles if left in the air and it will settle faster with a load of gravel in the bucket. Plus there will be some leakage in the cylinders. Add it all together and things will settle. That is why some prefer position control.:thumbsup:

The loader doesn't leak down when left in the air,,,,The thing about it is Kubota say's it won't leak ndown ,I'm not putting the lever in the correct position !! I was raised on a Dairy farm ,60yrs old and work as an Millwright in a Paper Mill,,, Seen a few hydraulic systems,worked on s few,,, If the lift cylinder rings/seals arecorrect, and the valve body is closed why does it leak down ??Is it constantly by-passing ?? Why would they build it to constantly keep pulling the lever to raise it back up ?? Any way Rhinehardt Eguipment says it operator error !! That's what P----'s Me off !!

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!! #15  
69c4x11 said:
The loader doesn't leak down when left in the air,,,,The thing about it is Kubota say's it won't leak ndown ,I'm not putting the lever in the correct position !! I was raised on a Dairy farm ,60yrs old and work as an Millwright in a Paper Mill,,, Seen a few hydraulic systems,worked on s few,,, If the lift cylinder rings/seals arecorrect, and the valve body is closed why does it leak down ??Is it constantly by-passing ?? Why would they build it to constantly keep pulling the lever to raise it back up ?? Any way Rhinehardt Eguipment says it operator error !! That's what P----'s Me off !!

Honestly I've wondered why it's built that way. Maybe it's better for certain things. I've always assumed it's a cost-saving measure.

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!! #16  

I agree with you. My loader will not leak down even after several days. However my backhoe will ?? My 3pt leaks down as well. I am not sure what the reason is, but I think the 3pt cylinder is not made like a normal hydraulic cylinder and is only a one way acting cylinder so that might be where some of the design differences are. It might be the reason for position control in the first place, because the design inheriantly bleeds off, so with position control the operator doesn't always have to remember to maintain the position. However, I don't see how a dealer could say it is operator error that the 3pt is settling, Come On!

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!! #17  
Just for another data point: My B2320HSD leaks down like everyone else's though it can be minimized with the control valve under the seat. I haven't found it to be much of a problem when using the MMM but, like others, find it to be a real pain in the neck when using the 3PH. Yep, it ain't position control .. and the lack of it is probably the only think I don't like on my B.

For 3-point attachments, I've rigged up "stay chains" (aka "check chains") to prevent the implement from dropping below the height I want the implement to work at. I started doing that with my old Ford 601 with lousy hydraulics.

Works like this: Put a pin through the hole just under the tractor end of the top link. Attach a length of chain to each end of that pin. The other end of each chain is attached to the implement. You have to lower the implement to working height one time to find out which link of the chain you want to use as your "end".

Works great with my shredder (rotary cutter, if you prefer). On the tractor, I lower the shredder to the end of the chains, and there it stays. Yep, position control would be better/easier, but this gets the job done. :D

If anyone's interested, I'll try to remember to post a pic or two.

Last edited:
Dude's .......Has anyone carried their tractor back for this problem?? Gotten ablast of Crap ?? Heard of any lame excuses from a Dealer ?? Tell Me why anyone would design a 3pt to leak down while running ??1/4 inching valve designed to leak by "????

Bump TTT for an resomable amswer ???

/ B2320 3pt leaks down????!!!!! #20  
It's normal behavior. I believe you can close the knob under the seat to prevent it from leaking down.

Only tractors with position control will maintain height in my experience.