How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #92  
I went to the semi truck wrecking yard and bought an aluminum tank off a semi.
I built a stand in my shop to hold it up six feet in the air, to the bottom of it.
I put a good hose and nozzle on it and now I just pull up whatever needs filled. No spills, no drips, no lifting.
The stand has shelves underneath it for oil and the chainsaw gas.

Whenever it needs filled, I call the delivery company and ask them to deliver 100 galons of off road fuel. Tax free. I put the power service in the tank that day and then I am good to go for another 6-8 months.

No more diesel in jugs for me.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #93  
I picked up a 70+ gallon tank that goes into the bed of a pickup truck with a 15gpm, 12 volt pump, filter, and hose. The pump has a long power cable with two alligator clips attached. I mounted this rig onto an old trailer that I had around and voila. I haul the trailer to the wholesaler in town where I get off road diesel, fill it up there, then tow it home and store it in a three sided loafing shed by my barn. When I need to fill the tractor, I pull into the shed, connect the pump motor to the tractor battery and fill'er up. No runs, no drips, and no errors...

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #94  
CompactTractorFan said:
Post reported

Actually, I found it to be an interesting post. Might be Spam if you live in that area but it covers a solution to a real problem. I am the only one who fills our two Diesels because I don't trust anyone else to always put the right stuff in the tank.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #95  
So Im about to get 2 55gal barrels and I need help figuring out the best way to strap them to a pallet to the tractor can move them. What do you all think is the best way to strap it down? and what type of pump should I use?

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #96  
So Im about to get 2 55gal barrels and I need help figuring out the best way to strap them to a pallet to the tractor can move them. What do you all think is the best way to strap it down? and what type of pump should I use?

I only move one at a time, and I don't put them on a pallet in the bed of my truck, (I am nervous they will fall off the pallet)

I have and use one of these Drum Lift - Save on this 55 Gallon Steel Drum Lift

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #97  
I agree that getting a 55 or 240 gallon tank and a pump sure beats the 5 gallon cans, especially on tractors where the fill is on top of the hood!

I went the 55 gallon route for a few years but I was always afraid of damaging the truck with the bucket or forks. If I were doing it again, I think I would put the drum on a small trailer to get it filled, and maybe leave it on the trailer.

Minimum delivery around here is 100 gallons.

But as I moved to bigger and more equipment 55 gallons wasn't enough so I went to a 240 gallon plastic cube and an electric pump. It sure is nice to pull the equipment alongside and turn the switch on and have the tractor filled in a couple of minutes :)

Ken

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #98  
Ken45101 said:
I agree that getting a 55 or 240 gallon tank and a pump sure beats the 5 gallon cans, especially on tractors where the fill is on top of the hood!

I went the 55 gallon route for a few years but I was always afraid of damaging the truck with the bucket or forks. If I were doing it again, I think I would put the drum on a small trailer to get it filled, and maybe leave it on the trailer.

Minimum delivery around here is 100 gallons.

But as I moved to bigger and more equipment 55 gallons wasn't enough so I went to a 240 gallon plastic cube and an electric pump. It sure is nice to pull the equipment alongside and turn the switch on and have the tractor filled in a couple of minutes :)

Ken

Post pics

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #99  
Post pics

Original drum:
Image0101.jpg

Current setup:
Image0100.jpg

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #100  
How do you fill the 55 gal tank? Is it in the bed of your pickup? Always heard not to fill a tank in the back of your truck but to place it on the ground due to the possibilty of static electricity igniting the fumes somehow. Not trying to be the safety police but like the idea if it can be done safely.

Is that true for diesel, or just gas? My understanding is that gas fumes are very flammable, but other petro-fuels (kero, diesel) are less volatile and so less of a risk in that regard.