How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #101  
Nice photos Ken. I have a 100 gallon tank with an electric pump and love using it now to fill my L45 - and my wifes Jetta TDI. I have a wholesale fuel account which is about 7 cents a litre cheaper than any of the stations near me. The charge an extra 2 cents a litre to fill the 100 gallon tank at my home. The tank holds around 400 litres so for $8.00 if it is completely empty I can't put the forks on the L45, hook up my trailer (my truck has a cap on it), drag the tank into town (5 miles) and then come home and reverse the procedure. It is much better than filling the machine from 5 gallon cans!

I just have the tank and pump now but I have been considering adding a filter. How often do you change your filter Ken?

Regards,

Lauren

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #102  
Nice photos Ken. I have a 100 gallon tank with an electric pump and love using it now to fill my L45 - and my wifes Jetta TDI. I have a wholesale fuel account which is about 7 cents a litre cheaper than any of the stations near me. The charge an extra 2 cents a litre to fill the 100 gallon tank at my home. The tank holds around 400 litres so for $8.00 if it is completely empty I can't put the forks on the L45, hook up my trailer (my truck has a cap on it), drag the tank into town (5 miles) and then come home and reverse the procedure. It is much better than filling the machine from 5 gallon cans!

I just have the tank and pump now but I have been considering adding a filter. How often do you change your filter Ken?

Regards,

Lauren

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #103  

Lauren,

Good question, I have wondered how often I ought to change the filter. I've had this setup with the filter for a couple of years, probably around 1000-1200 gallons through it which isn't a whole lot. So far, I haven't changed the original filter yet. I bought spares when I originally bought the unit.

So far, the flow is good so I assume the filter is still okay. I bought combined water/particulate filters and I don't know if it's picked up any water or how I would tell if it needed changing.

I probably ought to go ahead and change the filter soon since I have them on hand.

Ken

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #104  
I call the diesel fuel delivery guy and ask him to stop by when in the area. He then tops off my 300 gal overhead tank. I gravity fuel into the tractor with a standard fuel nozzle. My only complaint is that gravity systems don't work with auto shutoff so I have to stand there and hold the nozzle till the tractor is filled. Just a few min but when blowing 30MPH at sub freezing temps it seems longer.

Pat

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #105  
If I were doing it again, I think I would put the drum on a small trailer to get it filled, and maybe leave it on the trailer.
Minimum delivery around here is 100 gallons.

Rather than tie up a trailer with a fuel tank, what I did was mount a 55gal tank to a pallet.....then lift it onto a trailer when fill needed. Worked slick. Since then, found that Agriland will come out and fill not only my 55-gal tank but also top off my tractors. So, I don't have to haul the tank to the fill station any more.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank
Don't you just hate all the new fangled gas and diesel cans.
They think they're so much smarter making the tank safer for us stupid people with all the new regulations. In my opinion it's easer to spill harder to pour. I'll bet the people in charge of these designs never even use the gas/ diesel cans they make.

Cheap plastic spouts with no vents on the can. Turn this push that.
Yeah just what I want to do hold a 6 gal tank upside down stretched over my hood with one hand on some stupid plastic flimsy lever for 5 minutes while it's burping, gurgling, trying to breathe (and all thats from me).
How do you guys fill your tractor tank? What's the best setup.

Did we ever find out what works best?

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #107  
Did we ever find out what works best?

Well I would guess that not using a can and using a fill spout with an elevated tank works best, but I just don't burn enough diesel to make it cost effective. Some of the other methods that do not require lifting cans also looked good. But I guess I will keep lifting cans for now. If I get too old and weak to lift them, I guess I will look at something else:)

James K0UA

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #108  
Although I use an overhead 300 gal storage tank which is filled by a delivery truck and gravities to my tractor via a standard hose and nozzle it wouldn't be too hard to build a scaled down version using a 50 gal or smaller drum for a storage tank. Lets say you get a nice recycled (used) drum in good shape, a nice HD one (they are made in different strength of materials.) Build a little scaffold to hold it lying on its side such that the lowest part of the "tank" is higher than your tractor fuel cap. The threaded "bungs" (openings) on the top of the drum can be fitted with adaptors to accommodate attaching a hose to the lower one and a little plumbing to accommodate a funnel for ease of filling via the upper opening. You don't need a regular fuel nozzle, just a diesel resistant hose with a ball valve at the tractor end and a ball valve at the tank end which you leave closed off unless actually fueling. Do not make the entire assy air tight as the tank needs to "breathe" as the ambient temp and barometric pressure varies. Wanna get fancy? Install a water absorbing filter between the hose and the ball valve at the tank. This will ensure no condensation is drained into your tractor tank and it filters out any particulate contamination as well.

Although you would most likely need a ladder to fill the storage tank the ladder would be easier to position and use than awkwardly holding a jerry can over the tractor (hurts my back.)

Alternatively for a simpler more primitive setup get a container that holds at least as much as your tractor tank. Make a fixture to permit it to be raised by your FEL AND be able to tilt it over to pour fuel and tilt it upright to stop pouring. You can fill it from the "hard to use modern inconveniences foisted off on us by the Gov (AKA portable fuel containers, safety type)" while it is on the ground. I recommend a ball valve between this portable tank and the hose so you can easily shut off the flow of fuel when the tractor is full rather than trying to yank the tank upright to stop the flow.

I have never seen a latch-open style nozzle that works with a gravity system fueling station. If you want a fuel nozzle you will have to settle for one you have to hold continuously or invest some $ to get an electric pump (Harbor Freight has a decent one.) If you go for the electric pump then you can leave your fuel tank sitting on the floor where it is easy to fill it from jerry cans (AKA Gov mandated nuisances.)

The water filter is a GOOD idea for condensation and other possibilities. I had a branch of a tree grow long enough so that when the wind blew just right it would hit the hinged lid of my tank fill and sometimes knock it open allowing it to rain into the tank. I was mad at the fuel delivery guy (in absentia) for leaving the cap open (NOT!) and then at myself for doing it and then figured out the real culprit and pruned the limb. Meanwhile, my fuel tank water filter prevented water from getting to my tractor and extended the life of the filter on the tractor.

Ideas are cheap, I got millions of them. Some are tested and known to work good.

Patrick

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #109  
Right side of tractor.
Place diesel can on the hood.
Left foot on the driver's station platform, right foot on the right front tire.
Pop the top of the fuel cover open. Unscrew the cap.
Take the cover off the diesel spout and tip can until the spout is in the fuel tank neck.
Squeeze the pour lever and raise the can as needed to fill the tank.
Usually takes about 5 minutes from empty to full.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #110  
Amazon.com: Safety Siphon - Safe Multi-Purpose Self Priming Pump: Automotive
(I typically add 5 gallons at a time.)

1. Place fuel can on top of hood/tank.
2. Take worthless, dripping idiot spout off fuel can. Throw to side.
3. Put siphon hose in fuel can, wiggle it up an down a couple times to see it priming.
4. Put other end of hose in fuel tank.
5. Count the clouds in the sky until siphon empties cans and sucks air.
6. Directly pour any remnants left in fuel can into tank..
7. Search 5 minutes for the worthless, drip-prone idiot spout you threw in the grass. Place back on can for storage.