How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
Don't you just hate all the new fangled gas and diesel cans.
They think they're so much smarter making the tank safer for us stupid people with all the new regulations. In my opinion it's easer to spill harder to pour. I'll bet the people in charge of these designs never even use the gas/ diesel cans they make.

Cheap plastic spouts with no vents on the can. Turn this push that.
Yeah just what I want to do hold a 6 gal tank upside down stretched over my hood with one hand on some stupid plastic flimsy lever for 5 minutes while it's burping, gurgling, trying to breathe (and all thats from me).
How do you guys fill your tractor tank? What's the best setup.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #2  
I put a couple of drums(one for gas, one for diesel)on a pallet up on a tote so they gravity feed into whatever, then just load pallet into the skiff to refill
Rick

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #3  
Some times a good sharp pocket knife to cut off the safety tip and punch a vent hole does wonders. ;)

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #4  
tungularafishcamp said:
I put a couple of drums(one for gas, one for diesel)on a pallet up on a tote so they gravity feed into whatever, then just load pallet into the skiff to refill
Rick

Can you post pics of your setup for filling? Thanks

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #5  
I take the stupid no spill spout off and pour from the gaping opening into a giant tractor funnel... at least until I get the big farm tank fixed up. Then I'll just squeeze the nozzle on the end of the hose and let gravity do all the work.

Make everything idiot proof and the world will create a better idiot.

Joe

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #6  
Funny, I was just about to post a question in the "General Owning and Operating" area on just this topic. In searching, I noticed the same kind of reviews (gripes) of products I'm seeing here. Ugh! Anyone have a recommendation for the least crappy type available?

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #7  
Get a 5 gal racing fuel jug from Jegs, Summit or local race shop, they have a 3" cap with a smaller 1" removable plug, for installing a fitting and clear hose. They have the old style vent on jug, last one i bought was about $20 for jug and $10 for hose kit. Just looked on web and see there are also new style safty valve race jugs:mad: So be sure to get one with vent. These are very tough jugs and will last a life time, avalible in red, yellow, blue and clear.:thumbsup:

Dave

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #8  
I agree, the new fuel tanks stink. I have been thinking of setting up for farm delivery.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #9  
My dealer was selling the new Kubota 5 gallon container. Pretty slick in that in shuts off when the tractor tank is full and there is no hose you have to fiddle with. Easy to fill the container at the station as it has a wide mouth and won't leak if you manage to tip it over in your wife's car..whew!

It is a bit pricey at $33 but saves me from trying to explain the "new air freshener" smell to my wife

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #10  
I have 2 tanks, one 150 gallon and one 275 gallon tank, both with pumps and filters. I aquired the 275 gallon tank from a house tear down, all metal was going in the scrap dumpster then this tank appears half full of fuel! I hauled it home 7 miles on my forks, treated with it, and it burns well in my tractors. As far as im concerned that was a good find! :thumbsup:
My final answer is bulk tank and hose . . . John