Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23

Default BX starting issues

My 2660 is beginning to be hard to start. Once it turns over it fires fine, but where I was once able to start and stop with no issues I now find it problematic. On shut-down I can get off, do what I need to, hop back on, try to restart and it will not turn over. Row thru the levers to get everything in neutral, two wheel drive, pto neutral, etc. Eventually, I will find the golden combination, but it's not what it was. I have found that when I put my foot on the brake I now have to really push it to make contact. I'll open and close the seat, everything I and the manual can come up with.

Anyone else have this issue. What did you find? As always, much obliged for the help.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

Default Re: BX starting issues

Mine will do that once in a while. With mine I just jiggle the PTO lever, and it will start. Its not really a problem with mine, but it sounds much worse on your. Is it still under warranty?
    Dave,
    BX2350

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

Mine is only 3 years old with 280 hrs and have only had the random issue that a little giggle here or there didn't fix. Maybe one of the sensors is corroded, or loose in its mounting. If you are any good with a meter, maybe that will give you the answer.
    Kubota B2620 HST

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23, Craftsman Mower

I found I had mud lodged in a way that prevented the neutral safety switch from sensing neutral...

Also, sometimes the hydro pedal isn't in the middle... which only takes a tap of the foot to start.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by AHNC
    My 2660 is beginning to be hard to start. Once it turns over it fires fine, but where I was once able to start and stop with no issues I now find it problematic. On shut-down I can get off, do what I need to, hop back on, try to restart and it will not turn over. Row thru the levers to get everything in neutral, two wheel drive, pto neutral, etc. Eventually, I will find the golden combination, but it's not what it was. I have found that when I put my foot on the brake I now have to really push it to make contact. I'll open and close the seat, everything I and the manual can come up with.

Anyone else have this issue. What did you find? As always, much obliged for the help.
    . Mine will do the same if you jump off the seat before the bx fully shuts down. Apparently the auto shut off kicks in, then as mentioned a few lever jiggles and your all set.

Foster Center, RI

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23

I stopped by the dealers today to speak with the mechanic. In looking over limits on a BX25 that was handy and from his experience he thinks it is the PTO limit switch. As a starting point I ordered one. I'll post results once the part is installed.

One thing that surprised me on that switch. It is located under the left side of the seat. If you look at its molex connector it is just an open back connector. I had disassembled this a few weeks ago and was not surprised, given the connector design, that it was just full of dirt and debris. Its vertical or nearly so orientation just invites dirt to drop in. Anyone else had an issue with this plug?

Tractor
    Kubota BX-23

Start with basics. Put a voltmeter on the battery.

My BX had intermittent starting issues a couple of years ago. Confident it was the safety switches, I would play with levers and it would eventually start. Finally I decided to check it out. My battery had lost a cell, would hold about 10.5 volts. Sometimes enough to move the starter solenoid, sometimes not.

Tough little bugger, no telling how long I was running with that bad cell

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23

Quote Originally Posted by rdsaustintx View Post
    Start with basics. Put a voltmeter on the battery.

My BX had intermittent starting issues a couple of years ago. Confident it was the safety switches, I would play with levers and it would eventually start. Finally I decided to check it out. My battery had lost a cell, would hold about 10.5 volts. Sometimes enough to move the starter solenoid, sometimes not.

Tough little bugger, no telling how long I was running with that bad cell
    After trying several times to start the tractor I did test the battery. It was holding 12.6V after a work-out. Generally, I'm not a "parts changer" first, but after discussion with the mechanic I decided to throw a part at it. We'll see!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23

I received and installed the new limit switch today. Total part cost $8.50...fortunately, as the old one was good Never having a part off the tractor before I found that the pto and seat limits mount with two Phillips head bolts. They have a back-up two hole washer that actually makes the joint. If the bolts vibrate loose the bolts can slip in the slot moving the limit outside it range of operation. Tractor works great again

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23, Craftsman Mower

Always a good feeling to solve a problem...

I'm really careful now to make sure I keep the selector levers and safety switches nice and clean... no more running in the mud for me...