Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #1  

natem

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L-45
I posted this question earlier with no replies, hopefully someone can answer weather this is going to cause harm to the tractor or not. I want to buy a wood chipper with hydro feed. I dont want to spend the money to have rear remotes installed if they are not needed. Is it ok to plug this into the backhoe ports?? I did this with a log splitter and has worked great. When I had told the dealer that this was the plan to run the hydro's on the chipper they suggested to have rear remotes installed, said something about by running it through backhoe ports there is no relief valve. Didnt know if it was just a way to sell me the remotes. You can adjusted the speed of the rollers for the auto feed on a controller on the chipper. Was wondering when i turn the flow down if it is going to cause the hydro pump to over heat because the flow is being restricted, and cause it harm. But on the other hand i am not sure this would be different if it was to run through a set of rear remotes. Pretty simple but yet complicated to explain. The tractor is a kubota L45. Any help would be great!!!

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #2  
Do't know your machine but there is a difference in feeding to a cylinder and to a motor.

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #3  
It would require a certain kind of valve to be done to allow the hydraulic fluid to flow through. It could be done, but I too would suggest a remote kit.

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #4  
This is how I ran my Wallenstein BX-62R chipper. Plugged into the power beyond circuit for my backhoe.

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #5  
Make sure the tractor's flow requirements are sufficient before trying to do anything.

It was kind of funny. I bought a Timberwolf log splitter for use on my M5040. Runs perfectly fine but I thought it was a bit of overkill and I hooked it up to my B2710. Things went fine until it cycled to the end of the stroke and immediately stalled the B2710:(

I've never seen that tractor stall before but I took it as a hint that the Timberwolf wasn't a good match.

Ken

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #6  
I posted this question earlier with no replies, hopefully someone can answer weather this is going to cause harm to the tractor or not. I want to buy a wood chipper with hydro feed. I dont want to spend the money to have rear remotes installed if they are not needed. Is it ok to plug this into the backhoe ports?? I did this with a log splitter and has worked great. When I had told the dealer that this was the plan to run the hydro's on the chipper they suggested to have rear remotes installed, said something about by running it through backhoe ports there is no relief valve. Didnt know if it was just a way to sell me the remotes. You can adjusted the speed of the rollers for the auto feed on a controller on the chipper. Was wondering when i turn the flow down if it is going to cause the hydro pump to over heat because the flow is being restricted, and cause it harm. But on the other hand i am not sure this would be different if it was to run through a set of rear remotes. Pretty simple but yet complicated to explain. The tractor is a kubota L45. Any help would be great!!!

I'm wondering about the same type of thing as I think thru adding some additional hydraulics to my B3200

I got the BH77 backhoe with it - and was crawling under and around the tractor this afternoon trying to figure out how to add extra hydraulics for operating a grapple (& more) on
the front of the tractor.

Tracing out the lines - I see that the backhoe feed comes directly from what I assume are the "pressure" ports on the main assembly under the seat. It appears that the backhoe
feed just returns the fluid to the tractor.

When I looked at the valve pack for the backhoe itself - it's obvious that at least some of the valves in the stack have pressure relief valves.

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up a electro-hydraulic diverter valve in the lines that feed the backhoe - when activated it would divert the fluid forward where I would
send it thru another loader type valve stack - that I would use to control grapple function and/or other possible functions I might add onto the tractor. What I'm thinking
is I would use some of the Prince SV type valves that Surplus Center sells - and add three valves - 2 to replicate a loader function - and a third for a "motor". I would put
the "motor" ports at the very front of the tractor frame and use them if I wanted to power a logsplitter (or anything else) that uses a hydraulic motor.

I've still got to do some more research on what the correct type of valves to use for this might be though. My understanding of hydraulics is pretty basic at this time.

What does your wood chipper use the hydro feed for? Is it for driving the entire wood chipper - or just the feed?

The Surplus Center catalog lists "motor" valves for the Prince SV line - I would assume you would want to have (at the minimum) a valve like this to drive the chipper - and
these valves (if I understand this correctly) - are different from a valve used to drive a cylinder - because they stay open. Although they should probably still have a pressure
relief on them.

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #7  
I'm wondering about the same type of thing as I think thru adding some additional hydraulics to my B3200

I got the BH77 backhoe with it - and was crawling under and around the tractor this afternoon trying to figure out how to add extra hydraulics for operating a grapple (& more) on
the front of the tractor.

Tracing out the lines - I see that the backhoe feed comes directly from what I assume are the "pressure" ports on the main assembly under the seat. It appears that the backhoe
feed just returns the fluid to the tractor.

When I looked at the valve pack for the backhoe itself - it's obvious that at least some of the valves in the stack have pressure relief valves.

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up a electro-hydraulic diverter valve in the lines that feed the backhoe - when activated it would divert the fluid forward where I would
send it thru another loader type valve stack - that I would use to control grapple function and/or other possible functions I might add onto the tractor. What I'm thinking
is I would use some of the Prince SV type valves that Surplus Center sells - and add three valves - 2 to replicate a loader function - and a third for a "motor". I would put
the "motor" ports at the very front of the tractor frame and use them if I wanted to power a logsplitter (or anything else) that uses a hydraulic motor.

I've still got to do some more research on what the correct type of valves to use for this might be though. My understanding of hydraulics is pretty basic at this time.

What does your wood chipper use the hydro feed for? Is it for driving the entire wood chipper - or just the feed?

The Surplus Center catalog lists "motor" valves for the Prince SV line - I would assume you would want to have (at the minimum) a valve like this to drive the chipper - and
these valves (if I understand this correctly) - are different from a valve used to drive a cylinder - because they stay open. Although they should probably still have a pressure
relief on them.

I had two remotes on my B3200. Took some pictures for someone that was also thinking of doing that. Not sure if they would help in what you are trying to do. May provide another option? Can PM / email them to you if you like. Let me know...

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #8  
I had two remotes on my B3200. Took some pictures for someone that was also thinking of doing that. Not sure if they would help in what you are trying to do. May provide another option? Can PM / email them to you if you like. Let me know...

Yes - I am still trying to learn how all this goes together so I'm always interested in seeing what other people have done. I will send you a PM and you can email the pics to me. Or - if possible : post them in this thread so everybody can see.

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #9  
red4now,

I too would like to see pics of your remotes. I too am faced with a dilemma, but re: a tractor I'm trying to purchase, and I want to power a grapple for the front bucket.

My thought was: I can't use the 'hoe and the grapple at the same time--so why can I not just DIVERT the flow from the hoe to the grapple?

I envisioned a simple valve like an electrical "knife switch." But instead of exactly like the knife switch analogy, this would be Flip it one way--flow to the hoe; Flip it the other way--flow to the grapple.

The selling dealer said "What you're imagining already exists--it's called a "diverter valve." Don't worry about it-let me worry about it."

But I want to worry about it. LOL So, if you could post your pics here, for all to see, I'm sure you'd have more than just an audience of two.

To Jim_Wilson, re:
What I'm thinking of doing is setting up a electro-hydraulic diverter valve in the lines that feed the backhoe

Does it have to be electrically-operated for your application? Is it a matter of speed or repetition? My thought was that a manual "diverter valve," if such exists, would be one less thing subject to the "electrical failure gremlins." Just a thought....

Thanks,

My Hoe

/ Running other stuff other than just backhoe off backhoe ports #10  
red4now,

I too would like to see pics of your remotes. I too am faced with a dilemma, but re: a tractor I'm trying to purchase, and I want to power a grapple for the front bucket.

My thought was: I can't use the 'hoe and the grapple at the same time--so why can I not just DIVERT the flow from the hoe to the grapple?

I envisioned a simple valve like an electrical "knife switch." But instead of exactly like the knife switch analogy, this would be Flip it one way--flow to the hoe; Flip it the other way--flow to the grapple.

The selling dealer said "What you're imagining already exists--it's called a "diverter valve." Don't worry about it-let me worry about it."

But I want to worry about it. LOL So, if you could post your pics here, for all to see, I'm sure you'd have more than just an audience of two.

To Jim_Wilson, re:

Does it have to be electrically-operated for your application? Is it a matter of speed or repetition? My thought was that a manual "diverter valve," if such exists, would be one less thing subject to the "electrical failure gremlins." Just a thought....

Thanks,

My Hoe

Using the hydraulic flow that normally goes to the backhoe is exactly what I was thinking - and for the same reason you are.

I suppose you could use a manual diverter valve - sounds like something like this:

Surplus Center - 1/2" NPT 20 GPM DOUBLE SELECTOR VALVE

would do the trick. (look on SurplusCenter - there's other one's listed too - and I'm sure there's others available if you search the internet)

The electro-hydraulic diverter valves seem to be very reliable. They are used very commonly in all sorts of agricultural applications - and there's numerous threads here on TBN where people have used them and I don't recall anybody having any issues with them.

There's no reason I "have to" use the electric diverter valve for my application either I suppose. Given that the valve is going to be located just under the seat , I could use a manual valve and just reach under the seat to throw the handle.