Another lesson learned

/ Another lesson learned #1  

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
I am out checking fields to see if we can spray. I've gone through this ditch before when the water was higher, but I plunge and get stuck. Okay, time to try out the diff lock, but no improvement. Why - the water is only hub deep although the engine and transmission are dragging , but this should not be a problem. Nothing to do but walk the half mile to the house and get my wife with a tractor. We get back, everything hooked up, I start the RTV up, check the panel, and see that the 2WD/4WD lever is in 2WD. Case of terminal stupidity. So before my wife even starts pulling I am able to back out of the mudhole. I unhook the chain, throw it in the back of the RTV, and send my wife on her way. She knows better. She moves a few feet and then watches me knowing from experience I guess. Well I move over and charge at it again. Only this time the left front goes in the right track and the left rear slides on the slick bank into the left track and it won't make the bank on the far side. Furthermore it won't back up because it is sitting katty-whompus. My wife waits patiently as I take off my boots, wade through the water (it really is over knee deep at the bottom of that ditch), hook up the chain, and she drags me out. She doesn't even crack a smile. All in a days work for her. She did say later that evening that at least I didn't break anything or injure myself.

Attachments

• RTV.jpg
    RTV.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 455
   / Another lesson learned #2  
Good wife..This weekend my wife asked for the first time if I would show her how to mow and it was nice! Sorry you got stuck, but glad she had your back, as I am sure you have hers.

(Also thanks for getting rid of that guys post!)
Jim

/ Another lesson learned #3  
Wow looks like a situation I would (and have) get myself into.

/ Another lesson learned #4  
I don't mean to sound skeptical, but do we really ever learn; raise your hand if you've only been stuck once...:laughing:

I hate to admit how many times I have had to do the walk of shame back to the house leaving something stuck in the mud, high centered on a stump/log etc.:eek:

/ Another lesson learned #5  
Ditto, she just assumes she will be out at some point.

/ Another lesson learned #6  
My rule is that if you get out by yourself then you aren't stuck just delayed. I have been delayed a few times.

/ Another lesson learned #7  
I thought you would have tried a third time... I guess you are one of those fast learners.:laughing:

/ Another lesson learned #8  
I hate to admit how many times I have had to do the walk of shame back to the house leaving something stuck in the mud, high centered on a stump/log etc

Or bottoming out.

Yesterday a large box truck had its lift gate bottom out on a major thoroughfare through town...

What a mess. Traffic was backed up for about a mile. :confused2:

/ Another lesson learned #9  
I don't mean to sound skeptical, but do we really ever learn; raise your hand if you've only been stuck once...:laughing:

That's why I have a winch on the RTV:laughing:

I've had to have the wife use the RTV to pull out the zero turn mower a couple of times when it got stuck against a fence post on the hill.

To the OP: have you considered adding a snorkel to the air intake? :laughing::laughing:

/ Another lesson learned #10  
Come on, guys... and any gals who may be reading. Isn't "almost" getting stuck half the fun. :laughing: Once in a while it isn't "almost" anymore, but completely stuck. Still, I have been known to end up getting stuck because it was such fun leading right up to it. Some times you just have to pay the piper for the fun you are having.

Am I the ONLY one???