Loader I want a bigger bucket

/ I want a bigger bucket #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
Has anyone ever changed to a bigger bucket?

I had a grand L3240 with the 724 loader. Used the L2235 bucket
The smaller 514 loader for the same tractor use the same bucket.
I traded up to a Grand L5740 with an 854 loader. Same dang bucket!:confused2:
I want to use the M1811 bucket from an 1153 loader. All the quick attach buckets will fit all the loaders.
I've already crunched the numbers and I don't believe that I will exceed the lift capacity of my loader but I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with a change like this.
You know that everyone wants a bigger bucket.

Last edited:
   / I want a bigger bucket #2  
I have a l3700 SU with the 463 loader. I think it has a 66" bucket from Bota. I also have a 72" tooth and 84"gp bucket that I use for light material ( snow/mulch/ compost etc.)

/ I want a bigger bucket #3  
On our rental fleet tractors, we use the TL1765 72" SS QA HD round back bucket (from the L39TL & L45TL)because we can also install a bolt on cutting edge. It is 60 lbs. lighter than the M1811, a bit heavier in construction but more expensive.

/ I want a bigger bucket #4  
My bucket isn't all that big but I have fun with it

/ I want a bigger bucket #6  
Sometimes my bucket thinks its bigger than it really is. When it gets a running start and plows into what I'm working on it seems it has a mind of its own. I can work on something for a long time but the job is not done until I dump that final load.

/ I want a bigger bucket #7  
I think Tomtint has a good combo. That 5740 should have a 72" bucket for general use and i'm sure that 84" is a handy high capacity bucket for light materials. If you want to see many different options and sizes of buckets, check out our website here. When you click on a particular size, you'll find a chart showing the cubic yard and ft. capacity for the different widths. Hope that helps.

/ I want a bigger bucket
I guess I should clarify something.
The L2235 and the M1811 are 72 inch buckets.
The L2235 is 18 inches by 18 inches and the M1811 is 24 by 24. Essentially the same bucket, only bigger. I don't want a wider bucket.
I need to research the TL1765 too. (OOPS just found out this is a pin on bucket.)
I suppose I should also explain why I want the larger bucket.
A lot of the work I do involves lots of material for instance, one recent job I had was scooping up blow sand. loading it in my dump trailer and hauling it off. I moved about 150 yards of loose sand.
another was two belly dumps and one bobtail tandem dump of crushed limestone that I scooped up and place around tower down guys to stop the surface dirt from blowing away. That was 57 tons of material.
These job take awhile with the smaller bucket.
Currently, I work by the hour but I would like to be able to bid a job and get it finished quickly, or at least quicker.
I could just get a bigger tractor but at this point, The 5740 is about the maximum physical size tractor and the 72" width is about as wide as I can use on about 90% of the jobs I do. I have a Case 580 turbo available to me for the 'big' jobs.
I'm gonna check out your site. and look at your chart. I bet it helps.

Yep, everyone jumped right on that bucket size thing. :D

/ I want a bigger bucket #9  
You could check out Harry at BXpanded. They make a bucket expander kit that is well worth the bucks. Good reviews and personal service second to none. I have a BX 24 and they make equipment specfic to that model but will also make custom sized equipement too.

/ I want a bigger bucket #10  
I am not 100 percent sure you will be able to move x amount of materiel in y amount of time faster with a larger bucket. I think it depends on what Y materiel is. If it is rock like 0 to 6 inch rocks, I think you can move more faster with the smaller bucket. Here is why I think that. When you are filling the bucket from the pile you will take longer to "work" the bucket into the material and get a full scoop with the larger bucket. The smaller bucket will be easier to stick into the pile, and fill on the first try as there is less resistance to getting the bucket filled by the rough uneven rocks. Now if we are talking about lighter easier to load materiel's (mulch would be an extreme example) then by all means you will move more in a shorter time with the larger bucket.. I have 2 buckets and this is my story and I am sticking to it:)

James K0UA