Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #1  

Lefty7

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HSTC, LA724, BH92, RTV-X1100C, 1978 Dodge D100 Adventurer (Sunrise Orange), 2018 Ram 2500 (Omaha Orange)
I'm running a reverse-tine Sicma (Phoenix) tiller behind my L3940HSTC. It's their extreme heavy-duty model T10R-66GE, (or, outside of the states: RCS/165). Both tiller and tractor work great. But the reverse rotation is kicking dirt and stones up onto and into the back of the tractor. Some of the rocks are surprisingly big. Every once in awhile, one wings forward so violently, I know it's just a matter of time before one takes out my small lower rear cab window - or worse, the large one. I can also see it causing other problems, with rocks getting jammed in the travel path of the 3-pt. up and down, etc.

I've am already designing a guard to keep this from happening. (It doesn't appear that the maker has anything listed along the lines of such a guard.) But I just wondered if anyone else has had this situation with the reverse tillers, and what they did about it.

Last edited:
   / Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #2  
post some pictures of tiller you have, and hooked up to tractor as well. you will more likely get a few more folks to respond if you do.

there has been a few threads i remember seeing over the years of folks making different type of shields. but being able to see the actual tiller (top side) and under side of were you could mount something. and then hooked up to tractor. can really help folks visualize things better.

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #3  
Is the tiller running level? I'd thnk that the front gaurd should be catching them. On another note, with stones I only recommend the forward till!

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #4  
Is the tiller running level? I'd thnk that the front gaurd should be catching them. <snip>

My thought, exactly. If it is level, then maybe something like the guards from a rotary field mower would work - either chains or the rubber strip kind.

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #5  
Could you mount some chain link fence or a piece of plywood to the 3pt arms? Did you try adjusting the feet to lower the tiller into the ground further?

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab
Thank you all for your suggestions.

One problem I had, I think, had to do with the level. It looked good before being lowered into the soil, but I noticed that once it was lowered, the front pitched up somewhat. So today I shortened up the top link to correct this. That helped some. Also, I have an ongoing issue (that I'm temporarily ignoring) with the drive shaft being about 2' too long, so the unit is riding a little farther back behind the tractor than it should. This I will deal with once it is removed, and the combination of those two factors, the leveling and having it a bit closer to the tractor, should help alleviate this situation, if not correct it. I may try adjusting the feet to get it down further, but I'll wait on that, as I'm very happy with the way it's operating in that regard.

But I'm still thinking about building a guard or shield if it's necessary. It's a very heavy tiller, and there's plenty of potential for mounting something to the front of it, and still keeping it out of the way of the 3-pt. movement and shaft.

I will be using it again in the next few days to test these adjustments, and will report. Thanks for your help.

P.S. THE DRIVESHAFT IS NOT FULLY COMPRESSED. I HAVE AT LEAST 1" AVAILABLE (WHEN IT'S AT IT SHORTEST) BEFORE THAT HAPPENS. BUT UNTIL THE SHAFT IS SHORTENED, THE LOWER ARMS LONGER THAN WOULD BE BEST. AS THEY CONNOT RETRACT ANY FARTHER UNDER USE, THERE IS NO POTENTIAL FOR THE SHAFT TO BOTTOM OUT.

Last edited:
   / Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #7  
Thank you all for your suggestions.

One problem I had, I think, had to do with the level. It looked good before being lowered into the soil, but I noticed that once it was lowered, the front pitched up somewhat. So today I shortened up the top link to correct this. That helped some. Also, I have an ongoing issue (that I'm temporarily ignoring) with the drive shaft being about 2' too long, so the unit is riding a little farther back behind the tractor than it should. This I will deal with once it is removed, and the combination of those two factors, the leveling and having it a bit closer to the tractor, should help alleviate this situation, if not correct it. I may try adjusting the feet to get it down further, but I'll wait on that, as I'm very happy with the way it's operating in that regard.

But I'm still thinking about building a guard or shield if it's necessary. It's a very heavy tiller, and there's plenty of potential for mounting something to the front of it, and still keeping it out of the way of the 3-pt. movement and shaft.

I will be using it again in the next few days to test these adjustments, and will report. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't be using it until that driveshaft is made to be the correct length. You don't want to break your tractor's PTO, do you?

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab
I wouldn't be using it until that driveshaft is made to be the correct length. You don't want to break your tractor's PTO, do you?

I understand your concern - and I knew when I mentioned this, the reader would not understand that the shaft is not compressed max. But to operate the unit without these concerns, I have the lower 3-pt. arms longer than I'd like - or would be optimum for best up/down travel. (Once the shaft it shortened, I will also shorten up lower arms.) There is no danger in breaking the PTO, only damage from the forward-kicking debris.

Thanks again, Earl Ohl.

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #9  
I would get one of the heavy rubber horse mats from Tractor Supply, and make a flexible guard for the front. They have 3'x5'x1/2" thick mats for $22. They also have 4'x5'x1" thick mats. Cut with a sharp knife, or circular saw, drill holes, and bolt on. Should be heavy enough to knock down the big rocks, easy on the budget, and easy to fabricate.

I just made a wide stone guard for the back of my truck (mounts on hitch for easy removal) for when I tow my boat using one of these mats.

/ Reverse tiller rocks gonna bust up my cab #10  
My local feed store sells heavy duty rubber mats for horse barns and such. They are about 1" thick and 3ft X 4 ft. Maybe you can buy one of these mats, cut it up and use it to deflect any wayward rocks. Just a thought.