Post hole digger on a BX2200

/ Post hole digger on a BX2200 #1  

NYTrainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-2200
I placed this post here because it is intended, more specifically, for other BX22/2200 owners.
There has been many posts regarding PHD usage on the "smallish" BX's. I really needed a PHD and figured I was taking somewhat of a gamble on ground clearance issues, hole size, etc..
Well, I am pleased to pass on some info (for a change) regarding an "off the shelf" PHD that I got from Northern. No modifications needed whatsoever!. (More than enough ground clearance when moving the tractor from hole to hole). Even the PTO driveshaft, which has a ball bearing snap-on fitting on the tractor end (like the MMM driveshaft), needed no attention. I bought a 9 inch cutter but the 12 or 14 inch would work great as the 9 inch was a piece of cake for the BX. Granted the soil here on Long Island, NY is moist from recent rain but again it didn't miss a beat. I had bought the unit, as I said, from Northern Tool and they are a pleasure to deal with (I remember some negative comments regarding ordering from them). The attached picture shows the unit (I lowered the PHD to rest on the ground) and the hole it dug. I put a tape measure in the hole and I got a FULL three foot deep, flat bottom hole. That's all I need for even a six foot fence. If you're looking for a PHD the Northern Tool catalog has only one have listed in their current catalog. It's an FM-5500 from Green Manufacturing Comp. Nice heavy duty unit. Hope this helps someone who was otherwise undecided.
David
P.S. The dog (Bullmastiff), in the background, isn't nearly as impressed as I am!!

Attachments

• 272653-post1.jpg
    272653-post1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 670
   / Post hole digger on a BX2200 #2  
I'm impressed even if the pup isn't! What rpm did you use for the digging...just curious as my wife is talking about a fence around the garden and I need an excuse to buy more work tools.

/ Post hole digger on a BX2200 #3  
Looks good! How much did that set you back if you don' t mind me askin? Thanks Chris

/ Post hole digger on a BX2200 #4  
My one and only purchase at Northern was smooth as well. At Christmas I ordered the two man Honda 5HP earth auger. Works great - just wish I had known that I'd be getting a tractor so soon. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Could have gone your route and save $800. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Post hole digger on a BX2200
That pup is almost 11 years old. Best dog I've ever had the pleasure to know.
To answer your question I started the auger spinning at barely above idle and then lowered it into the hole and increaded the rpm's. Didn't need near full PTO speed to accomplish digging the hole. I would say somewhere between half and three quarter throttle.

I paid about $375 plus $105 for the auger. There was free shipping if I remember correctly (may have been a mid winter deal?) Seems pricey if you price a manual post hole digger from Sears but that would be too much work and not nearly as fun, err, productive! Actually it seems like a bargain when you price a typical 2 man PHD with gas engine. Even that seems like it would take too much effort to ride one of those into the ground.

/ Post hole digger on a BX2200 #7  
Decent price! I just got a couple of info packs from Daunsher (sp). They are pricey. One thing. A good friend of mine lost his left arm a short time ago while using an auger (pto tractor mounted). Pay extra attention to being safe!!!! I did right up a small post in the "SAFTEY" forum when it happened. Might be a good refresher on what not to do /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I recall that story and actually quoted that to a friend of mine who was asking how the PHD's worked and such. Thanks for the reminder!