BX seat repair advice needed

/ BX seat repair advice needed #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just received a rude surprise on my 2 month old BX. I went to flip the seat around for backhoe work and the center pivot bolt for the seat mechanism snapped. The bottom of the bolt and nut vanished in tall grass. Of course, I'm far from home and dealers and have to finish the job today. Can a fellow BX owner take a look at the underside of the seat mechanism and relay to me what kind of nut/washer/lockwasher parts comprise the bottom of this pivot bolt? Also, any guess as to the length of this bolt?

/ BX seat repair advice needed
I just had the same thing happen to me for the second time. I called the dealer and he said it was not a warranty issue, but he would order the parts and eat the cost.

The seat attachment is pretty weak! When looking at the bracket the seat attaches to...you will notice three uniform holes. The two outer holes are for ball bearings. The center hole is where the bolt passes through. The bolt is self-locking (I don't know what the correct term is). I never had a lock washer for the unit...but when the new parts come in I will be adding it. As for the length of the bolt...make sure it is long enough to pass through the nut when wrenched down TIGHT! BTW...You will have to remove the seat from the slide rails to do the installation.

Has anyone out there made a modification to the seat to prevent this from happening in the future? If you do a lot of BH work and constantly swivel the seat back and forth...the darn thing gets loose.

Chris

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just had the same thing happen to me for the second time. )</font>

Me too! This sounds like a common problem. Mine fell apart the first time I used the backhoe. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is the dealer putting these together wrong? Mine has been fine since I reassembled it.

/ BX seat repair advice needed #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I called the dealer and he said it was not a warranty issue, but he would order the parts and eat the cost )</font>

Bull on that not being a warranty issue. The BX22 hasn't been out that long and it seems to me that the problem is a material or workmanship issue. Could be a dealer education problem as well.

BTW - Milford Class of 1980, are you originally from Milford ??

Jim

/ BX seat repair advice needed #5  
I haven't seen that problem yet,but i can foresee that and check for problems.

I too broke the seat bolt. The problem is the bolt is too short from the factory for the lock nut to work. This is why the seat gets loose and hard to turn. I replaced the bolt with a longer bolt (1 1/4" long) and it worked beautiful. Just make sure you don't get too long a carraige bolt because it will rub through the fuel tank!! Hope this helps!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The nut on mine fell off after the first few times I rotated the seat. It was never tightened correctly. After I found the parts and tightened it down it has not been a problem but I will be checking this on a routine basis to see that it dosen't happen again. Dave...

Just a follow up on what appears to be somewhat of a common problem. After making my field repair, I replaced the bolt with a grade 8 and self locking nut. Also cleaned and lubricated all parts and it now works much better than new. This design is not the high point of the tractor. I'm adding it to the list of items to inspect/clean/lub during oil changes.

Thanks

/ BX seat repair advice needed #9  
I just got a 30 day followup from Kubota, you might want to keep a list and include it when you send in the info they ask for. Maybe if enough of us mention the various problems they will fix them in the future....lol!