Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
I have a z465 JD with the 25 hp kawaski gas engine. It has just under 200 hours on it.

After sitting for the week, on cold start up its hard starting. It will crank once than hesitate, than turns more, and finally starts up but gas spits out exhaust pipe. I think gas is leaking by in the carb bowl during the week and creating a hydraulic lock in the cylinders. Am I on the right track or out to lunch?

If we mow with it, take a 4 hour break, and its sitting in the sun, it doesn't require any choke, is that normal? Or is it running too rich?

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #2  
I think you may be correct on the hydraulic lock. I don't think you can assume anything from not having to use th choke to restart though. That sonds to be pretty normal from what you described.

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #3  
hydraulic lock from gas accumlating from all week? Don't think so. Carb float is sticking open is my opinion.

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up
Would a fuel additive, like carb cleaner or sea foam work? Or do I need to do an actual carb rebuilt?

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #5  
My first test step would be to put in a fuel shutoff on the fuel line between the fuel tank and the carburetor and see if that makes a difference. If that fixes it, I would check the float on the carburetor to see if it is sticking.
Costs less than $5 and makes working on the carb later MUCH easier.

Aaron Z

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #6  
My first test step would be to put in a fuel shutoff on the fuel line between the fuel tank and the carburetor and see if that makes a difference. If that fixes it, I would check the float on the carburetor to see if it is sticking.

Aaron Z

I would put the shut-off to the tank but before the filter so I could shut off the gas and change filters. Good luck!

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #8  

Aaron Z

I'd go one step further than that. The fuel shut off is a good idea, but a vice grips will prove the point.

I had a little JD STX and the tank would be empty in a week; garage smelled like gas. I ended up having to get a new carb because the needle wouldn't close. They told me they didn't make a kit for it. I used the vice grips for about 2 weeks while it came in.

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up #9  
I agree with the fuel shut-off but just wondering if you checked the oil to see if gas has gotten into it?

/ Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up
Dana Warner said:
I agree with the fuel shut-off but just wondering if you checked the oil to see if gas has gotten into it?

Oil is fine but good thought.

When DW took the air filter to clean it off, she said she saw a little fuel sitting at the bottom of the "elbow" between the filter and the carb.