Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Default Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up

I have a z465 JD with the 25 hp kawaski gas engine. It has just under 200 hours on it.

After sitting for the week, on cold start up its hard starting. It will crank once than hesitate, than turns more, and finally starts up but gas spits out exhaust pipe. I think gas is leaking by in the carb bowl during the week and creating a hydraulic lock in the cylinders. Am I on the right track or out to lunch?

If we mow with it, take a 4 hour break, and its sitting in the sun, it doesn't require any choke, is that normal? Or is it running too rich?
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Gold Member

Default Re: Gas coming out of the exhaust on start up

I think you may be correct on the hydraulic lock. I don't think you can assume anything from not having to use th choke to restart though. That sonds to be pretty normal from what you described.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40

hydraulic lock from gas accumlating from all week? Don't think so. Carb float is sticking open is my opinion.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Quote Originally Posted by rasimmo View Post
    I think you may be correct on the hydraulic lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    hydraulic lock from gas accumlating from all week? Don't think so. Carb float is sticking open is my opinion.
    I'll give it a definite maybe. If this is a gravity fuel feed system, I would highly suspect the float or float needle valve. Is there a fuel shutoff or convenient way to stop the fuel flow when not using the machine during the week?
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Would a fuel additive, like carb cleaner or sea foam work? Or do I need to do an actual carb rebuilt?
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

My first test step would be to put in a fuel shutoff on the fuel line between the fuel tank and the carburetor and see if that makes a difference. If that fixes it, I would check the float on the carburetor to see if it is sticking.
    Costs less than $5 and makes working on the carb later MUCH easier.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    My first test step would be to put in a fuel shutoff on the fuel line between the fuel tank and the carburetor and see if that makes a difference. If that fixes it, I would check the float on the carburetor to see if it is sticking.

Aaron Z
    I would put the shut-off to the tank but before the filter so I could shut off the gas and change filters. Good luck!
    Murph ------------

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    I would put the shut-off to the tank but before the filter so I could shut off the gas and change filters. Good luck!
    Good point.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post

Aaron Z
    I'd go one step further than that. The fuel shut off is a good idea, but a vice grips will prove the point.

I had a little JD STX and the tank would be empty in a week; garage smelled like gas. I ended up having to get a new carb because the needle wouldn't close. They told me they didn't make a kit for it. I used the vice grips for about 2 weeks while it came in.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100

I agree with the fuel shut-off but just wondering if you checked the oil to see if gas has gotten into it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast