What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU?

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #1  

Brad78

Tractor
DB 995
I already have a 6' rotary mower behind my old David Brown which is in good condition. The DB though is past it's use by date. I like the look and feel of B3300SU could it run a 6' rotary mower? If not which is smallest Kubota model that could?

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #2  
I would recommend a five footer, but since you already have the six, try it. My only real concern is the potential 'tail wagging the dog' effect if your land is hilly. If it struggles power-wise, just take a smaller bite.

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #3  
I already have a 6' rotary mower behind my old David Brown which is in good condition. The DB though is past it's use by date. I like the look and feel of B3300SU could it run a 6' rotary mower? If not which is smallest Kubota model that could?

I have a B3200, pretty much the same tractor. I use a 5' Landpride behind it and it works fine. That being said I could not imagine anything larger for a couple of reasons. My Landpride is classified as a light duty but I would consider it as medium and of good quality. As the previous poster said if you will on any slopes it will push you around. Until I filled my rears even a slight angle off straight up and down could be a ride. The other reason is that 5' is all mine can handle HP wise. If you 6 footer is in good shape I would consider selling it and going with a five.

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #4  
General guideline is 5 pto hp per foot of mower.

I have a 6' mower on a larger tractor. In addition to needing the hp to run it, I would be concerned about that much weight on the 3pt hitch. The hitch might lift it, but as another poster mentioned, it may become an issue of "the tail wagging the dog".

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #5  
Although I think you'd be happier with a 5 foot cutter, since you have a 6' unit, it can't hurt to try it.
As others wrote, you may experience the "tail wagging the dog" especially if you transport the cutter raised on the 3PH.
You can minimize this by making slow, more gradual turns...this, BTW, applies to both mowing and transporting.
If you do transport raised, keep the cutter low. There's no need to raise the cutter the full height of your 3PH...just get the tailwheel off the ground a few inches.
Also, rather then raising the cutter, you can tow it using the tailwheel to bear some of the weight. I've done this...just disconnect your top link.

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #6  
i didn't read if it was 3ph or tow behind. probably wouldn't matter much. i run a 5ft behind my b7800 (very simular to b3300su) a 6ft is also specd for my b7800 and with the 3 extra pto hp on your b3300su, i bet if you weren't going through very thick/high grass/weeds and kept it in low gear, you could run the 6ftr. also hills and rough ground would also come into play, but i think i could run a 6ft on my b7800 if i didn't let the weeds/grass get too high. try it and see. i would recommend low gear if doing thick stuff or steep hills.

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #7  
Having power to spin the cutter is never an issue. You can always slow down or take smaller bites. So going faster with a 5' or slower with a 6'.....end result is the same.

The problem is the weight and how far back it hangs. It might help to know how heavy (what model) is this 6' cutter. Because 6' cutters range anywhere from 650# to over 1400#.

If it is a lighter one, you will probabally be fine. But will most likely need to leave the loader on or get front weights. If it is a HD 6' cutter........Might not be so good, especially if your ground is hilly. I have a HD 6' cutter (1100#) on my larger L3400. It is really too big for my tractor but the price was right on it. NO WAY would I want that mower on anything smaller.

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #8  
   / What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU?
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't bought the B3300SU yet. I was pretty convinced on the BX2660 with a MMM and a 4' rotary mower but I am thinking I don't want to have regrets in 6 months time with a machine that is too small. I slash / hog about 7-8 acres.

Any thoughts on a suitable Kubota model to utilise the 6' cutter?

/ What size rotary mower behind a B3300SU? #10  
7 to 8 acres. is not all that bad with a rotatory cutter. it is not like you are mowing every week or almost a couple times a week for the front lawn, but you are talking about pasture area or area were weeds grow tall. and ya only mow 2 or so times a year. so it takes a couple hours more. on a smaller size tractor and a smaller size rotatory cutter. so your on the tractor instead of 6 to 8 and going to 10 to 12 hours. your day for most part will be shot anyhow. whats the couple hours a couple times a year?

a rotatory cutter, is not one of the more expensive implements you might buy for a tractor. if you are buying a new tractor. why not a rotatory cutter fit for the new tractor?

ya having a larger tractor is always nice, to make everything quicker, more so dirt work, grading dirt and gravel roads / driveway, even mowing. but *shrugs*