Checking Axle oil level on BX

/ Checking Axle oil level on BX #1  

RMatty

Tractor
BX 2350
Hey everyone, just changed the fluid today in front axle on my BX2350 and had a question on checking it. When you check the level on the dipstick do you push it all the way in or just rest it on the o ring to check the level. I went through the manual and couldnt find anything about it. I was wondering what the consensus was on the proper way to check it.

/ Checking Axle oil level on BX #2  
RMatty said:
Hey everyone, just changed the fluid today in front axle on my BX2350 and had a question on checking it. When you check the level on the dipstick do you push it all the way in or just rest it on the o ring to check the level. I went through the manual and couldnt find anything about it. I was wondering what the consensus was on the proper way to check it.

Depends who you are, some people put it all the way in and others put it in to the o-ring. This is one of those topics that is discussed a lot, if you do a search I guarantee you will find topics on it but with people doing it both ways.

/ Checking Axle oil level on BX #3  
I push it in all the way, but to be honest, I doubt it makes any difference.

/ Checking Axle oil level on BX #4  
I wondered about that as well but decided to push it all the way in as that is how other dipsticks work.

/ Checking Axle oil level on BX #5  
The BX axle doesn't breath, and air expands more due to heat than oil. I screw it all the way in so full is more towards extra oil than extra air.

/ Checking Axle oil level on BX #6  
I believe that no matter what engine, transaxle I am checking, I always fully seat the dipstick. If it at the full mark, its good, if not add. This way if it supposed be checked without fully seating it - the full mark would be within the normal range.

Now with that said - I always fully seat the front axle dipstick all the way down then pull up to check second time after wiping first time. I never trust the first pull.