B2150 Steering Loose

/ B2150 Steering Loose #1  

fredoroberts

Tractor
Kubota B2150HSD
The steering on my B 2150 has suddenly loosened up to the point where there is 3-4" of free play. The arm coming out of the steering box responds to small movements of the wheel but barely moves. Also the steering column seems to have come loose so that it can be wiggled around a bit.

I tried tightening up the nut connecting the wheel to the linkage, but no luck. Worse yet I can't really remember what it is supposed to feel like, just know there has been a change. The steering still works, but it feels funny going straight when the when the wheel is crooked. Is is safe to keep using it like this?

I thought, maybe the hydraulic fluid is low and checked. The darn stuff is so clear that it was hard to tell but I think it is ok. Checked the linkage under the tractor, but with the low clearance banged my head on a metal plate and got a gash next to my eye for the trouble!

If any one has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

PS. 59 days and counting no rain here in Santa Barbara. Not complaining yet, but this is supposed to be winter!

/ B2150 Steering Loose #2  
Fredoroberts, I'd check into that steering colunm looseness- I d think any play caused by the steering colunm, steering gear box or steerig knuckles being loose would give symptoms as described.

RCH

/ B2150 Steering Loose #3  
Under the wheel there is a rubber bushing that wears. I replaced mine due to quite a bit of play front & back etc. It's about $7.00 and sets right around the steering shaft. pry out the old and press in the new. Tightens it up real nice. Just no more pulling yourself up on the tractor with the wheel !!!

/ B2150 Steering Loose #4  
I hope your solution is as easy as Danno described. The entire dash had to be removed to tighten the column on my Ford. As noted my problem was also most likely caused by a previous owner using the steering wheel to climb on and off the tractor.

An explanation for why the steering might suddenly become loose is that the lock-nut on the sector adjust could have loosened, which allowed the adjustment screw to work loose. That happened to mine. The adjustment is simple, but it took me some time to get it right. On my Ford, the adjustment for tractors with power steering is made with the tractor running. The repair manual said that, but the owner's manual doesn't. I don't know if procedures are similar for all tractors.

/ B2150 Steering Loose
Thanks for your input Danno. Was your steering also affected, i.e. did you have excessive freeplay as well as a loose column? I saw that bushing in there and will check it out.

Yeah you are right about using the wheel as a handle to help pull myself up. Will have to cut that out!

/ B2150 Steering Loose #6  
Those rubber bushings are a common wear item no big deal as long as the steering wheel comes off O.K. also check the bolts that secure the steering box they've been known to loosen up (nothin a little loctite wont fix) check the draglink and tie rod ends and make sure the nuts are tight also.