Oil & Fuel ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320.

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #1  

PhysAssist

Elite Member
Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it..
Tractor
Kubota B2320
She was getting ready to mow and had a bit of half a tank [approx. 4+ gallons] and trying to be helpful added somewhere around 1-2 gallons of gasoline to the tank, bringing it up to just below 3/4 of a tankful.

She then mowed for around 20- 30 minutes before she noticed that it was losing power and shut it down.

She said she also smelled either smoke, or something "like a hot engine that needed to be turned off" but didn't see any smoke, and when I got there I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary.

She didn't realize that she had used the wrong fuel until after I tried to restart it and it wouldn't start.

What is the best thing to do now??

I tried searching the forums, but without using quotes it just brought up every post that mentioned either gas or diesel, and when I used quotes, the search found nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #2  
At the least drain the tank all the lines and pump if you can. You need to get as much of the gas out as you can.

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #3  
Exact same thing happened to me. However, the tank was empty so the tractor was running on pure gasoline.

Just drain everything you can get to. Then fill with diesel and crank it until it starts. It will eventually.

Things will be just fine after that.

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320.
Hi Guys,

Thanks, I knew that it was better than diesel in a gasoline engine, but wasn't sure, given horror stories elsewhere on interweb about blown heads and torched piston heads.

Is there any point in adding more lubrication to the tanks- some threads suggested this, with references to everything from Diesel911 to cooking oil, ATF, and 2-cycle oil.

Thanks again,
Thomas

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #6  
Hi Guys,

Thanks, I knew that it was better than diesel in a gasoline engine, but wasn't sure, given horror stories elsewhere on interweb about blown heads and torched piston heads.

Is there any point in adding more lubrication to the tanks- some threads suggested this, with references to everything from Diesel911 to cooking oil, ATF, and 2-cycle oil.

Thanks again,
Thomas

Good luck! Please keep us posted on how it turns out.

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #7  
It's the other way around...

Gas in a diesel engine tends to grenade things. My Dad work in Mopar parts for decades. He talked about RAM pickups with Cummins diesels, coming to the dealer. Gas mixed with diesel, engine was junk... $6-8000 just for the motor. As of 5 years ago, it was about $700 here in to dispose of 35 gallons of gas diesel mix...

Diesel in a gas engine, typically just runs terrible, and may clog the catalytic converter. Knew someone who ran diesel in a car; thought it would give him the power to pull Donner Summit on I-80, just like the big rigs. All it did was run poorly and belch smoke...

Hi Guys,

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #8  
   / ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #9  
It's the other way around...

Gas in a diesel engine tends to grenade things. My Dad work in Mopar parts for decades. He talked about RAM pickups with Cummins diesels, coming to the dealer. Gas mixed with diesel, engine was junk... $6-8000 just for the motor. As of 5 years ago, it was about $700 here in to dispose of 35 gallons of gas diesel mix...

Diesel in a gas engine, typically just runs terrible, and may clog the catalytic converter. Knew someone who ran diesel in a car; thought it would give him the power to pull Donner Summit on I-80, just like the big rigs. All it did was run poorly and belch smoke...
Why would anyone pay to have it disposed? I would just use it up on burn piles, that would be fantastic starter fluid

/ ! HELP ! My wife accidentally GASOLINE into our DIESEL Kubota B2320. #10  
Flat land city slickers...

Mixed in proper proportion, that is what is used by wildland fire crews in their drip torches when they have to backfire.

Why would anyone pay to have it disposed? I would just use it up on burn piles, that would be fantastic starter fluid