"Speed Control" on B7500 HST

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST #1  

Anonymous Poster

\"Speed Control\" on B7500 HST

Has anyone used the speed/cruise control on the B7500 HST? It seems to lock the speed pedal on only one of two positions, very slow or very fast. Its not the same as cruise control with infinite speed settings. As such I havent found it very useful for mowing when I might normally go about the same speed (moderate) for longer durations.

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST #2  
Re: \"Speed Control\" on B7500 HST

Haven't had the pleasure of operating the B7500 with speed control engaged, but it should operate similar to my Ford NH 1520:
1. Set hand throttle to proper engine RPMs for the implement;
2. Use the forward HST pedal to set the forward speed you want to maintain:
3. While holding the HST pedal steady at the desired ground speed, engage the speed control and then lift your foot off the HST pedal.

The tractor should maintain a steady forward speed unless you encounter a hill or an extra load on the implement. My speed control will not engage while you are moving in reverse. (I can't emagine anyone wanting to maintain a steady speed for a long time in reverse, anyway /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

If yours doesn't work this way, it may need adjusting. Your dealer or some of the B7500 owners should be able to tell you how.

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST #3  

You are correct, the 7500 has 2 auto speed controls. Here's how I use them - while driving lock the slower speed in and then adjust the throttle control to desired speed. I won't let the rpm's drop below 2200, but I usually can find a comfortable speed with no problem.

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST #4  

My B7500 HST was delivered 6-6-03, and has five settings for the speed set device. If you look below the deck, under the forward speed control pedal, you will see a lever hanging down with five detent slots in it. To engare the speed set device, you need to catch one of the detent slots when you push down on the speed set lever. I depress the foot pedal to the speed that I want, push down on the speed set lever, and then depress the foot pedal some more until I feel the next detent. It seems like the ground speed decreases slightly after the speed set is activated, anyway. The speed set device is described on page 31 of my Tractor Operator's Manual. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Rusty

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST #5  

Rusty has described the exact setup that the B2400 has.

On occation, I have been known to push down on the Parking lever when I really wanted the Speed Set lever. I don't mean to imply other folks are as silly as I am but... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST

Thanks for the advice. You are right, there are five set points. I need some practice to get the right touch in order to lock into the other setting besides the max and min.

/ "Speed Control" on B7500 HST #7  

I finally tried my speed control on my B7500 after reading this thread. It's been 1 1/2 years so I thought I ought to make sure it works. I found that I was unable to get it to set at a speed that I was satisfied with. It was either too fast or too slow. I tried the idea about varying the engine rpm but then the pto speed rapidly drops. It sure doesn't seem to me that it would have been all that difficult to use some sore of tension arrangement with infinite settings rather than the 5 notch set up. Oh well, I guess I've managed to live without it this long.....

Jeff