B7800/similar Opinions?

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I have an L4200GST / bucket and backhoe, but am considering picking up a used B7800HST for use in smaller areas and for lighter-duty tasks. My 4200 lives at my camp with it's 1000' gravel driveway. I mostly use my tractor for driveway maintenance, light landscaping tasks, occasional backhoe work, as well as clearing snow in the winter (6' 3ph blower). The B7800 (or similar) would be a city rig, kept at my primary house for the most part for whenever I have a need to do some tractorin', and will probably run a blower in the winter. It would also serve as an emergency backup should something happen to my big tractor when I needed it. The B7800 appears to be a fairly basic machine, like my 4200, which is good for me (not a bell n' whistle kinda guy). I want something small but capable - the 7500 series machines are cute, but seem a little TOO small to me, although the power company did a decent job of landscaping and grading/raking on my property (placed an 800' underground line) with a B7510. I was also thinking of maybe an old B20/21. I'd like to hear pros/cons from those who have considered and/or own 25-30HP B's, in comparison to other similarly sized/powered machines.

Thanks - JayC

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #2  
Hello JayC...
You likely have it figured correct...
I have always seen a Lot of the B7800's around, and they have always seemed to be doing a Lot of work for their size... KennyV

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #3  
I've had my B7800 for 8 years and it now has 338 hours on it. I am still amazed at how much work it can do. I run a 5 ' bush cutter and a 74" rear snowblower with absolutely no difficulty. It has not given me any problem in the 8 years except the safety switch on the HST pedal came loose once, but that was a simple fix. I highly recommend the B7800.

Attachments

• SnowMover1.jpg
    SnowMover1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 116
   / B7800/similar Opinions? #4  
I have a B7800 and have used many different tractors from15 to 90 HP over the years and will say the B7800 is the near-perfect small tractor with a bigger tractor attitude. In addition to mowing the lawn, it sometimes doubles to pull a wagon or even pull a lighter 13 ft (!) harrow over corn patch or lawn area. My vote is to stop looking and go with a known-quanity winner.

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #5  
I have a B2910 - the "deluxe" version of the 7800 - same basic chassis and engine/powerplant as the 7800 though. I'm coming up on 1400 hours on it and it has worked hard and earned it's keep during those hours .... and no problems or mechanical issues ....

If you can live without position control on the 3PH, I'd say it's a very capable and solid machine. I wouldn't have any qualms about owning one.

/ B7800/similar Opinions?
If you can live without position control on the 3PH, I'd say it's a very capable and solid machine. I wouldn't have any qualms about owning one.

Interesting comments. Is the 2910 chassis really similar to the 7800? It looks smaller. I was incorrect on the power company tractor too - it was a 2610 (24HP) - it was definitely too small for my tastes. Is the 2910 bigger? I didn't consider the 3PH control either - don't think I can live w/o position control on my 3PH. Open-loop 3PH control systems seem a bad idea to me.

Thanks, and keep it coming. Good inputs - JayC

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #7  
I love mine, and use it way more now than my L4350 which is up for sale as a result of that and some other circumstances. The only thing I would miss is the loader capacity of the larger tractor but you can work around that most of the time.

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #8  
Oh, another thing, it's got a four cylinder engine as opposed to three and purrs like a kitten. That's partially why I bought it.
It's got a nice sized fuel tank and I have had no issues with the position control thing. It mows my lawn and doubles as a mini farm tractor with drilling holes and pulling a small sprayer or one-row planter. I'm sure other tractors are fine but I know this one to be trouble free, backed by a brand name and it holds it's value.
Did I mention I liked it?

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #9  
I've had a B-7800 for six years I think. It's done everything I've asked of it and more! Sometimes I get the itch for a bigger, fancier tractor, but when I really think about it, I realize that the B-7800 is absolutely perfect for me.. Big enough to run the 60 inch bush hog very effectively, pop troublesome rocks out of the field, yet small enough to get back into the woodlot on the old road and thus far, 100% reliable.
I can't say enough about the machine!

/ B7800/similar Opinions? #10  
I got my B7800 used with a 148 hours on it and I'm pushing 500 now. I have added all goodies that a B3030 has. I sure like it. The only thing I wish it had is the mid PTO and a way to hook to the front crank shaft so I could rig up a front mower. I don't like the 1/4" valve.....
I have 3 kubotas and it seems like I'm jumping on the 7800 the most. My L4240 has about 800 hrs on it and I don't use it for any little job. Thinking about making a 4 post top for the 7800 if I can come up with a way to be able to remove easy. I could go on and on about it, all I can say is you well like it if your not a real tall person.