hydrostatic noise

/ hydrostatic noise #1  

badapplefab

Tractor
Kubota L3200
So I just picked my new L3200 HST. Haven't really had much seat time yesterday but did spend about 1hr today on it. Question is how loud is the hydrostatic drive supposed to be. I'm getting noise, not alot but there is a whine. Is this normal with a hydrostatic unit.

/ hydrostatic noise #2  
It's normal. I have a JD and a Kubota. Both are hydro's, both whine.

/ hydrostatic noise #5  
MAKE SURE you don't have the brake locked. Otherwise, some noise is normal and will vary with load and rpms.

If the brake is locked, it is much louder. And bad for the brakes.

I was told that these things like good revs and full pedal, for proper function and cooling. Once it's warm, I've been running between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm, changing revs in 100rpm increments every couple of minutes for the break-in. I've been doing all my work in low range, using medium for traveling any distance. Hi range has not been useful or needed, so far.

Good luck with your machine.

/ hydrostatic noise #6  
Yup, they whine. My old B8200HSTD did. Currently I have a NH TC40D. Same thing. It's just a HST thing...

/ hydrostatic noise #7  
Just got my L3800 HST Monday and it has a pretty good whine to it. Just have to get used to it I guess. Seems like the more I rock that right foot back and forth the less and less I hear the whine! Man thats nice.....!

/ hydrostatic noise #8  
Please note HI range is just for fast transport on flat ground, preferably unloaded. Don't try to go up any significant hills in HI..it will scream like a panther. MED is for work when you need to move fast, and do not need a lot of torque. LO is for when you need less speed and more torque, and to climb steep hills. Note the whine level will increase with load on the tractor, If you hear a lot of whine, check the parking brake is not on, check you are not in too high of a range, shift to LO and see what happens. Also I noted a slight reduction in whine as the tractor broke in and got about 50 hours on it. The smaller the tractor it seems the whine is louder. Also some owners have noticed whine resonances in the ROPS and have filled their ROPS with insulating foam. I have heard this being done on BX series but not L series.

James K0UA

/ hydrostatic noise #9  
Good to know James, it can whine all it wants, I am like a kid on Christmas.

/ hydrostatic noise #10  
Good to know James, it can whine all it wants, I am like a kid on Christmas.

Yeah they are not bad, and it does get a little quieter, as it ages.. either that or I am getting deafer:) I know this doesn't help but my Kioti only has a little whine in HI. It is really quiet. The loudest hydro whine I ever heard was a Bx. But all in all, the ease of use far outweighs a little whine. The ability to rock you ankle a bit and change directions almost instantly is pretty cool isn't it.? Not to mention the ability to go slower than a inchworm:)

James K0UA