Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Default Re: Kubota orange paint

Has anyone tried an automotive paint store?

the one near me will match paints. They can mix a small amount and put it in a spray/rattle can. Not sure of cost though...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Has anyone tried using the kubota paint in a spray gun? Does it need to be thinned or a hardener added to it? I have a Herd seeder I rebuilt and since there's lots of new steel and it'll take 4 rattle cans I might as well get a quart.

The Majic paint is oil based. I think it's made with Soybeans.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    John Deere 770

What year did kubota change the orange color?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    Has anyone tried an automotive paint store?

the one near me will match paints. They can mix a small amount and put it in a spray/rattle can. Not sure of cost though...
    My local auto paint store is $20 a can.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

kubota fatory paint is already the Cadillac of paints in that it is acrylic enamel and of top shelf quality. Thinned with a little acetone it sprays beautifully, dries fast and is glossy and hard with a long wear life. I do not believe you can buy a mixed acrylic enamel for the same price you can buy factory Kubota acrylic enamel for. I use it a lot and it is without equal.

While I have not done it I have seen tractor re-paints done entirely with spray cans of Kubota factory paint and it looked really good. The guy took his time and sprayed carefully and I would not have known if he had not said something.

Regarding the switch to the current "Orange II" paint, my guess is it happened in the late 1980's.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

So here's an update. I bought a quart of kubota orange paint. The can has very little information about how to spray the paint. The dealer just said paint thinner. The local Sherwin Williams was even worse, they said just use water since it's acrylic enamel. I tried generic enamel thinner and that was a mistake. It didn't mix well and turned the orange a milky color. I found a part number chart on Kubota's web site and it gave a part number (I think) for thinner that the dealer never heard of. It also said Xylene would work in colder weather. I ended up wasting part of the can trying to find what to cut it with and then when I used Xylene I had to figure out how much. It looks like 3 to 4 parts paint to 1 part Xylene worked well for me.

Since I wasted some paint I ended up using a gravity fed gun that I haven't used in years. I used Rustoleum self etching auto primer and gave it a light scuff with 220 sand paper. It was about 80 out when I painted the seeder. The finish is much better than anything other than automotive paint, even a base/ clear wouldn't have done better. If you are looking for something more than a good enough paint job then I would recommend the Kubota paint. If you have experience painting automotive paints then you get a paint job that will rival your Kubota tractor, if not better since they are painted in mass production while doing one off work your attention to detail is finer. One quart would be enough to spray 3 coats to the top of a brush hog. It would have been enough to paint my Herd seeder had I not lost some learning.

Unfortunately I had to go thick with the second coat and it's still slightly thin in spots. Since it's going to be filled with sand for the driveway this winter I'm not going to paint it further. Also you have to get real close, a foot or so away, to see that it could use one more coat.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Good work and congrats.
    Now throw out the old paint gun and buy a $30 Harbor freight HVLP gravity gun and hang on. Acetone dries quicker.
    For painting, I put a very light coat on in warm and ideal conditions and then two minutes later give it a slightly heavier coat and I'm done. Clean up the spray gun with acetone and call it good. Oh, buy some of the disposable paint cups from HF (cheap) and cleanup is ultra easy. Now, on to the next project and steer clear of the guy that said to thin acrylic enamel with water. Wow.
    Any photos of your newly painted item?

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Good work and congrats.
    Now throw out the old paint gun and buy a $30 Harbor freight HVLP gravity gun and hang on. Acetone dries quicker.
    For painting, I put a very light coat on in warm and ideal conditions and then two minutes later give it a slightly heavier coat and I'm done. Clean up the spray gun with acetone and call it good. Oh, buy some of the disposable paint cups from HF (cheap) and cleanup is ultra easy. Now, on to the next project and steer clear of the guy that said to thin acrylic enamel with water. Wow.
    Any photos of your newly painted item?
    You wouldn't want the paint to dry any quicker. As it was the Xylene was dry to the touch moments after being applied, almost too fast. If I didn't have a paint gun I would get a HF special but the gun I have is actually a very good gun (Binks M1-G) and in the hands of a pro it's about the best you can get. Plus if I wanted to I can get different tips for it so I could shoot the kubota paint without thinning it. I figure I'll start a thread in the snow section and add several pics there.
    Kubota orange paint-herd2.jpg
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 1026R TLB

subscribing...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234