Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member

Default Re: MMM adjustment knob

Now that weather is better and MMM is off, I was able to get underneath and look at this. Now that I look closer, the steps are a bit rounded. Perhaps this is the problem. The issue is that the nut spins freely as I mentioned. I assume that if I can get this off somehow, it will be an easy fix.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by mhart View Post
    Now that weather is better and MMM is off, I was able to get underneath and look at this. Now that I look closer, the steps are a bit rounded. Perhaps this is the problem. The issue is that the nut spins freely as I mentioned. I assume that if I can get this off somehow, it will be an easy fix.
    Yeah, mine are rounded off also, and probably the stops (spring against the sides of the cam) are not in the best position. To take it off, run a socket up inside the cam. It's been over a year, but I think it was a 13mm. The spring is bolted on from the side and presses against the outside of the cam.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Bronze Member

By Cam you mean the grey piece with the rounded edges? It will likely be difficult to get this off if the nut spins freely. Any tips on that.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Yes, that's what I mean. Have you seen an expanded drawing of them?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...owerheight.jpg
    It's part 160 in the pic. The spring lever that is supposed to keep it in place is part
    210 and bolts on to the V welded into the frame.

If it is too tight, you might need to pull the knob off and put a vice grips on the shaft and have somebody hold it while you break it loose from down below.

Bronze Member

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Its not that it is too tight, the nut just spins freely and wont come off. Maybe it is stripped. Seems like it will be impossible to get out.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by mhart View Post
    Thanks so much for your help with this.

Its not that it is too tight, the nut just spins freely and wont come off. Maybe it is stripped. Seems like it will be impossible to get out.
    Oh crap. That will make this difficult. Things are pretty tight up there, so getting tools in is gonna be a bear. The nut is almost 2 inches deep into the cam, then the cam rides up on the underside of the V bracket. On the top side, the shaft is made with a collar so that it stay on the top side. Getting at the top side pretty much requires that you take off the seat, fenders, floor pan, the whole works. Even then, grinding that shaft off is not going to be pleasant unless you have a very small cutting wheel to get in there. The shaft and nut shouldn't be terribly expensive, but that's probably not a part they have in stock because it isn't usually going to wear out. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Mine actually seems easy now. The whole V bracket was snapped right off, but at least mine could be taken apart.

If you decide to go through with this repair, do something I didn't. Grind the lever that comes up to the cam teeth flat, and grind the cam steps flat as well.
    Good luck with this!

Bronze Member

I was actually able to get this off. I then went to the dealer and bought a new CAM and put that on. The deck holds fine at the top position but again, the knob will spin and deck will drop all the way down if I set the knob to another cutting height. Is there something I am missing?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

If the knob spins freely, you must have that spring tab broken, or at least bent out of shape. It only provides a detente on the side of the cam, and not a very strong one at that. Look at the picture I linked in before. That should help.

How did you get the nut off the shaft? Was the shaft ok, not stripped?

Bronze Member

Rayda, I was able to get a better look after crawing under there and realizing that what I was spinning freely was the shaft end. I know, I am embarrassed. I was then able to get the nut off.

I thought I was in the clear when I installed the new CAM. I will try to take a look at theat spring tab tonight, it seems that is the likely problem. If it is bent, can I fix it or just get a new one.

Thanks again so much

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

You should have been able to feel that tab push against the outside of the cam. Either it is broken or loose. Doubt it is bent, there's no way for anything to get in there to bend it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12