Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #1  

bikerdib

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I've read the various threads about wood chippers and I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of four. A 4" Wallenstein gravity feed or 8" Woodmaxx with mechanical feed or an 8" Tomcat with mechanical feed or finally my last choice an 8" Jinma with mechanical feed. These 4 fall pretty close to what I want to spend with the Jinma being the lowest priced and the Wallenstein the highest. From what I've seen in videos the Wallenstein by design doesn't really need additional feed because it draws the wood in with the blades. Not that speed is the main concern but from the videos I've watched, it looks line the Wallenstein is the fastest at processing wood even though it doesn't have an additional feed. I assume this is because of the fact it has four blades compared to the other three machines having two? Oh BTW, my tractor is a B3300 so 33 engine HP and something like 25 or 26 PTO HP.

The Tomcat holds a slight advantage because the dealer is only 35 miles from me and I can go pick it up and save the freight cost plus if there is a problem parts and service will be close by. Woodmaxx is offereing free shipping right now which puts its cost about the same as the Tomcat but then if I need service it will have to be shipped back. Like I said, even with the shipping cost added in the Jinma is cheapest but I still wonder if all the bugs are really worked out.

I know this subject has been discussed before but any and all input I can get on these machines will be greatly appreciated.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #2  
If doing limbs with allot of small growth sticking out, it can clog in the shut and slow down the gravity feed, often needing a push to keep feeding. Get the mechanical feed. The video is in the best intrest of the manufacture, they will not show you their weak points. Philip.

Attachments

• TRACCHIPO2.jpg
    TRACCHIPO2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 452
   / Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper
If doing limbs with allot of small growth sticking out, it can clog in the shut and slow down the gravity feed, often needing a push to keep feeding. Get the mechanical feed. The video is in the best intrest of the manufacture, they will not show you their weak points. Philip.

I assume the videos on the dealers websites are weighted in their favor but I've also seen some by individuals on youtube that make the Wallenstein look pretty fast. Any one ever done a side by side comparison? That kind of input would be invaluable.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #4  
I have been using my Wallenstein BX 42 for about five years now. It is powered by my BX23, which is on the lower end of the horsepower recommendation for this unit. On two occasions I have managed to stall the tractor. Both times it was 4" diameter dry cherry wood.
Once the limb touches the cutter blades, you let go and stand back... no mechanical feeder needed. It is difficult to try to pull anything back out once it starts to feed. The heavy flywheel and four cutting blades do an amazing job of turning limbs into chips, at a rapid rate.
So far the only servicing has been to sharpen the reversible blades once and to grease the robust bearings before each use.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #5  
I've used the bx42 and found it to be ok. Check out the blades or sharpening and adjustments for same. The bx42 was a bit of a bear getting the clearences set just right so that the chips aren't too big or too small. The discharge chute seems to plug up more than what I would like. Make sure you carry the correct sized wrench for removing the chute to clear chip jams.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #6  
things to think about....

are you wanting a specific "chip size" so you can use the mulch for flower beds?

also the out feed chute for the chips. can you back up a truck or a trailer to it. so you can just put all the chips right onto it or into it. without having to handle the chips multi times? or do you have to keep moving the chipper as the piles build up below it?

is there enough room or does chipper come with a "slip clutch" or "shear pin" if going with a PTO type of chipper? so if for what ever reason something happens. you do not stall the engine out or possibly tear up the rear end and PTO shaft of the tractor?

local dealer or not, i doubt they carry all parts for a chipper. and most likely will order stuff anyhow. that will take time to get shipped in.

does the out feed chute, have an option to attach side of a garbage bag? or stands high enough that you can place say a 55 gallon garbage can under it? so you can fill the cans up with chips.

is everything made, so when you get done with chipper, you can take it over to a garden hose to spray everything down, and remove the glue type tree sap off of everything? or does it need a power washer, with a long extension on power washer gun to get down into it? and does it have some sort of drain hole in bottom or like, to let the water to escape?

for the bigger chippers, can they handle rocks? nails? large metal spikes? fence wire? fence staples?

is there a possibilty. to have inlet chute on one side, and out feed towards back, so you might be able to pull a small size trailer right behind the chipper. so no need for second vehicle or tractor?

are the access panels easy enough to take off, so when something wraps around the blades and shafts, you can get in there and remove it?

do things look good, so when it is fall to early spring, and you have a couple layers of cloths on. and you do not have as much fear of a loose cloths getting caught up and pulling you in to the chipper.

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #7  
Biker,
If you are not going to do any serious chipping, then you could go with the gravity feed. I would look at Wallenstein and order from Woodward Crossings in Pa. They have the lowest prices and they can freight it to a business near you.
Attached is my chipper. It is a Patu from Finland.

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 & Patu Wood Chipper.jpg
    Kubota B3030 & Patu Wood Chipper.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 761
   / Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #8  
I suggest you consider your chipping needs.
If it's strictly the occasional yard clean up of downed branches, twigs and limbs, a gravity feed machine works fine...in fact, you might want to consider a chipper/shredder rather then a dedicated chipper.
If you have a "major" clean up...one time, then renting a full sized machine may be your best option...

Last edited:
   / Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #9  
I have one of these:
Wood Pro Brush Chippers

I find it totally fantastic and straightforward. A machine that doesnt have a bunch of doo dads or stuff, just an engine, heavy flywheel, centrifugal clutch for easy starting, 4 KNIVES ( NOT BLADES) and belts to transfer the power. Yes they also make a PTO version.

My neighbor has rented a hydraulic feed a few times and borrowed my gravity feed the other day. He WAS looking for one with a feeder; but after using this he cannot see the added cost of a feeder when a gravity feeds actually grabs it out of your hand and FEEDS itself................Often one has to hold big stuff back to avoid clogging the chute but for me.........FANTASTIC............God bless.....................Dennis

/ Gravity feed vs mechanical feed wood chipper #10  
I don't know about these particular models, but I am a former arboreal ground-man/brush chipper/monkey. There are gravity feeds and high duty self-feeding drum chippers. The drum chippers can actually pull limbs up hill.

Like as said earlier about drum chippers, watch out!

Some chippers have a feed drum to ease operator effort, and to protect the operator from over speed limbs in the case of drum chippers. These feeders work with drum or disk chippers.