Winter hydraulic problems???

/ Winter hydraulic problems??? #1  

kdlklm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1830
I have at B 5100 Kubota with a front mounted snowblower. The problem I am having is with the hydraulic ram that raises and lowers the snowblower. I can't seem to get any pressure, there is a lever that you need to turn to direct the flow to the front hydraulics and I have tried every possible direction, and there seems to be next to nothing for pressure. I am located in Canada, Saskatchewan where our winter's average between -15 to -40. The conditions can be pretty extreme, but the tractor starts with no problem, and the three points hitch works fine. This is the first winter I have had the tractor, and everything was working perfectly when tractor was purchased. Could there be an issue with my fluid being too thick, because of the cold. Or could there be a more serious problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
1400386.jpg

/ Winter hydraulic problems??? #2  
From your post, I guess that the blower lift was working OK until it got cold. My first thought is that the hydraulic oil/filter should be changed to a multi-season oil if you're unsure of what's in there now.

If the explanation is simply 'thick oil,' then you'd expect 3ph operation to be abnormal as well. However, the cold could affect operation of the direction valve. Perhaps gentle use of a hot air gun on the valve might get things working.

I'm guessing that what is called a 'direction valve' is what I call a 'diverter valve.' My diverter selects between remote and aux hydraulics systems. The way hydraulics systems are sometimes plumbed, the 3ph won't operate when the aux system is selected. If your direction valve is the same as my diverter valve, you might check if your 3ph works irrespective of the valve position. If so, then the valve itself might be suspect.

Incidentally, my hydraulics are connected so the remote and aux systems both operate without changing the diverter valve position. Of course, only one hydraulic function at a time can be performed, but the setup is much more convenient than having to change the diverter valve repeatedly. I don't believe that my type of setup is difficult to hook up on most tractors, but of course, the middle of winter isn't a good time for doing mechanical work.

/ Winter hydraulic problems??? #3  
I am no engineer, but my guess is that you have water (now ice) inside the valve control body. the only reason I am so suspicious of this is because my B1700 had the same problem last winter, and that is what it turned out to be. Be especially suspicious if you get everything to work properly by heating up the valve with a hot air gun, as suggested by TomG. If you have water in there, you will need to disassemble the valve, dry it, and button it back together again.

/ Winter hydraulic problems??? #4  
I BOUGHT A B-6000 SEVERAL YEARS AGO. WHEN IT GOT COLD (32 OR LESS) THE HYDRO PLOW ON THE FRONT WAS SLOOOOOW. BECAUSE IT IS A GEAR DRIVE THE HYDRO SHARES THE SAME FLUID AS THE GEAR BOX. THE GEAR BOX WAS FILLED WITH HEAVY WT. GEAR OIL (90 WT?)I WENT TO THE DEALER AND AND CHANGED THE FLUID TO A MUCH LIGHTER HYDRO/GEAR OIL. MUCH BETTER!!.
CHECK YOUR OIL BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
FRED