Backhoe frame mount or dedicated tlb

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #1  

jomar215

Bronze Member
Tractor
don't
What do you fellas think? I want to be able to move around with the hoe as necessary (I.e. scooting down the line, getting unstuck in a rough patch, etc) and I'm wondering what experience says. I can foresee at least the possibility of using a 3ph - if it's there at some point I'd use it. But, primarily I'd mount the hoe. How's a frame mounted hoe feel versus a dedicated tlb? I've only ever used the tlb ....

Trying to choose between an L48 or L3600, at least I'm looking at these 2 models ....

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #2  
Id go with the L48, it is way more machine, but probabally more $$ also. But if you are already used to a dedicated TLB, a backhoe attachment on a small tractor is going to seem weak and slow by comparison.

But as to moving yourself around and all, if it is a frame mount and not a 3PH, I dont see a problem at all. The tractor will handle whatever the hoe will dosh out if frame mounted.

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #4  
I second the dedicated TLB - higher GPM, more clearance, tougher build for commercial apps, and rock. The tractor based BH have gotten much better and as capable but are hanging off the back more, have lower clearance and not as protected underneath usually.

Here in the NE there are some nice low hour L48s to be found if you are patient as the new ones have gotten pretty $$ lately.

Good luck hunting,

Carl

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #5  
having access to a 3pt hitch can be extremely nice, always wished i had funds to go with a regular tractor and sub frame 3pt hitch backhoe. but even going used prices were out of my range. vs a commercial TLB of same weight and HP size, were backhoe does not come off, for access to a 3pt hitch.

if you go with a tractor and 3pt hitch backhoe. get one with subframe, the subframe really helps transfer the forces and weight to the tractor vs possibly damaging the 3pt hitch on tractor.

not all tractors and backhoes match up. were you can do a 180 degree turn on seat to operate backhoe. having this single ability, really makes backhoe more productive. vs climbing off seat of tractor then onto seat of backhoe. you could walk a couple miles a day. vs just being able to do a 180 in the seat.
--normally reach over seat to operate backhoe, if getting unstuck, or swinging backhoe up on high side of hill when i need to drive across a hill, or when digging a trench, just a quick 180 in seat, to move forward a few feet. vs having to walk a couple miles between tractor seat and backhoe seat in a day.

having access to 3pt hitch, for other equipment. really would be useful. many tasks can be done with just a FEL and backhoe. but the finish work. getting area all nice and level and remove bumps, etc.. can take extra time. vs being able to disconnect backhoe and use some sort of 3pt hitch implement.

=============
with above said, perhaps listing things you "need" to get done. and then what you like to do. with tractor. folks here maybe better to help ya, and point ya in a given direction.

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #6  
Hi Boggen,

Just to clarify the "dedicated TLB" is probably the wrong word - integrated TLB is a better term.

The dedicated TLB would be more like the bigger CASE 580, JD410, CAT416 where the BH doesnt come off. (easily)

The Kubota B26-L39-L48-M59 have integrated BH's but have a 3PTH also and the swivel seat so have the features of the true TLB and 3PTH capability.

Carl

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb
So the L48 has a 3pth as well - best of both worlds?!?

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #8  
Yes indeed - it has a Cat 1 3PTH

Others in a similar are the John Deere 110 - a little smaller maybe you can check the specs - its a well regarded machine too.

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb
I need to be able to dig, primarily. I've got a a bunch (ie. 200 yards) of dirt to move around and water coming in all around my basement (no drainage, old stone foundation). I'd like to remake my gravel driveway and parking area. It hasn't had any attention in many years and it could use some attention. I'm thinking 8 inches of 4" minus would make a nice update. I gather that a lot of guys use a box blade for maintaining that sort of thing. Or a back blade? I know there are plenty threads on the subject already ....

I could foresee at some point (2 or 3 years hence) needing a rototiller and brush hog as well. I wasn't aware that one could disconnect the backhoe from these tlb's like the l48. About that, hard process? 2 hour scrape??

I know what you mean about the 3pth backhoe sitting kind of weird on the back of the tractor - kind of low and far back. I looked at JCB mini cx that's a dedicated tlb, no detaching, which was very nice. This particular model didn't have 4wd, which is a must. It also seemed a bit small. The specs said it had a 1000 lb lift, but it seemed to hesitate some with a bucket of 3/4" stone. I guess that 1/3 yard bucket figures to about a thousand pounds, but I think I'd like a little more muscle in my loader. I've been hanging around TBN long enough to know that no one ever complained about buying too big. BUT, I'm starting to think the L48 might be just a bit too big. L39? I've never used the BX sized machine but everyone says how great they are.

I only plan on buying once for quite some time, and I can only afford used, so I figure it's best to ask a lot of questions. Thanks for your help, all.

/ frame mount or dedicated tlb #10  
I would assume that the L 39, L 48 etc remove similar to my B 26 since that are all dedicated TLB. It takes all of about 3 minutes to cut loose the two pins holding the back hoe on, pull forward a bit and relax all the hydraulics and uncouple two hoses. It actually takes longer to put on the 3 PH arms than to get the back hoe off. Getting it back on can be a little tricky if you dont have it on a level slab but its all in the hydraulics and no lifting tugging etc. needed. The QA bucket attachment makes changing the bucket about a 5 minute job also, just take out one bolt, drive out one pin and the bucket slides off.