Oil & Fuel Can't Believe This Happened

/ Can't Believe This Happened #21  
Never seen anyone put a torque wrench on a drain plug in my lifetime.
Brian

My thoughts EXACTLY!

And I don't check all the fluids in my vehicles or tractor or other equipment before each use, so I guess I fall into the category of incompetence, but I'm sure I've got lots of company. I might do it when new until I become comfortable with the equipment's characteristics, but after that, I guess I'm taking a huge chance every time I turn a key or pull a cord. I feel bad for the OP's bad luck, but that's just what it is.. A Case of bad luck, bad karma or whatever you want to call it. I don't consider it carelessness, lack of knowledge or maintenance. The stars aligned in a bad way for this gentleman. Could have happened to any of us, and I hope it all works out well for him.

Hindsight is always 20/20...

Last edited:
   / Can't Believe This Happened #22  
my current 2011 Toyota Tundra that has a cartridge oil filter--not a cannister--and has a torque # for the cap that has an O-ring and a torque # for the drain cap--that has an O- ring and sits inside the cap. I think the EPA geniuses thought up this cartridge oil filter thing.

My 1950 tractor (designed in 1939) has a cartridge filter. Not too bad, lid comes off top, do not have to lay underneath to access, minimal mess. Now, my wifes 2007 Mazda, what a pita. It has a cartride filter, drain plug on bottom cap does no good, when you pull the bottom cap it makes a mess on me and tools, and I am laying underneath of it. I hate it, what is wroing with spin-on's. Why??? Philip.

/ Can't Believe This Happened #23  
I've also never heard of using a torque wrench on a drain plug. Been wrenching on stuff close to 40 years, owned 6 tractor and 15-20 vehicles and never had a drain plug come lose.

/ Can't Believe This Happened #24  
This may be a stupid question, but, wouldn't a low oil light or some other warning light have come on once the oil level dropped such that the machine could be shut off before real damage occurs? Don't tractors have that built into the dash?

MoKelly

/ Can't Believe This Happened #25  
My thoughts EXACTLY!

And I don't check all the fluids in my vehicles or tractor or other equipment before each use, so I guess I fall into the category of incompetence, but I'm sure I've got lots of company. I might do it when new until I become comfortable with the equipment's characteristics, but after that, I guess I'm taking a huge chance every time I turn a key or pull a cord. I feel bad for the OP's bad luck, but that's just what it is.. A Case of bad luck, bad karma or whatever you want to call it. I don't consider it carelessness, lack of knowledge or maintenance. The stars aligned in a bad way for this gentleman. Could have happened to any of us, and I hope it all works out well for him.

Hindsight is always 20/20...

I'm sure you have plenty of company. Someone who puts a lot of hours on their equipment daily will routinely do a pre op machine check on fluids and walk around. When I was farming, we did this every morning and greased everything up. Now that my use is sporadic with working from an hour or so to all day at different times, my pre op has changed. I keep my equipment well maintained, but I don't check fluid levels etc after each use which might mean checking for every two or three hour run time.

/ Can't Believe This Happened #26  
I've also never heard of using a torque wrench on a drain plug. Been wrenching on stuff close to 40 years, owned 6 tractor and 15-20 vehicles and never had a drain plug come lose.

I use a torque wrench on my aluminum engines. Motorcycle and ATV's. They seem to strip easily from what I have read. Don't use the torque wrench on the tractor.

I know a few people who tighten things until they break. If you are not blessed with the touch it is better to use a torque wrench. If my wife changed oil she would need the torque wrench.:)

/ Can't Believe This Happened #27  
We all have bad things happen from time to time. In reality its best to check every nut and bolt with a calibrated torque wrench and every fluid level on every vehicle or piece of machinery you own. Its impossible and you would never get everything done. In this case you were screwed by the dealer or person you purchased it from and most likely you will pay the price. For those on this thread who are giving poor advice like you should have done this or that or used a torque wrench my question to all of you is-are you for real?

/ Can't Believe This Happened #28  
This may be a stupid question, but, wouldn't a low oil light or some other warning light have come on once the oil level dropped such that the machine could be shut off before real damage occurs? Don't tractors have that built into the dash?

MoKelly

By the time an idiot light comes on, it's all over but the cryin'.

/ Can't Believe This Happened #30  
Unless you just happen to look at the dash right after the plug fell out, you would probably miss the warning light. I'm not sure how much time would go by from when the plug fell out and the engine locked up, but not much more than a minute or two. I know I don't check the oil in my tractor every time I use it, and I sure don't go around and check all my drain plugs and such. I'd say the OP used his tractor the same way most people would.