B7610 Front Axle fill plug

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #1  

Union90

Tractor
B7610
I just recently bought this tractor at an auction after finally recieving my manuals in the mail I started to go over tractor today. Well when trying to remove front axle fill plug it was almost impossible to get off finally after putting vise grips on it it came out, but now I can not get it back in. Any suggestions. Is there an easy way to get it out without damaging it also.

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #2  
I have a B7510 and pretty sure the axles are same. I agree that the dipstick is somewhat difficult.What I have done is after getting mine out and i did sorta bugger up the plastic, I drilled a hole in the upper plastic area in the grooved ring. I think it is a 3/16 but If doing again I would go as large as I felt I could and not compromise the top to break off. With the horizontal hole you can insert a small screwdriver or punch and then use another screwdriver to use as leverage to force the dipstick out. I have found that by removing the left engine side panel you can get close enough to the top of dipstick to gently tap it with a hammer or small piece of wood to reseat.

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #4  
I agree the plug is hard to get out. I use a modified ball joint removal fork and rest it on the raised area of the axle which i use as a leverage point and it comes out fairly easy. I tap back in with a block of wood, only minor damage so far.
I also do not remove it very often, only when necessary.

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #5  
For me, I use a "tire iron" for motorcycle tires to remove it. It has a wide lip to get under the edge of the cap and is about 18" long. I merely lever the cap off by resting the curve of the tool on the axle I think. To get back on was a total pain at first, then I tried spraying the "O" ring with PB Blaster.........snapped right in with just a bit of leverage, again with my tire iron, on the top............God bless......Dennis

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #6  
Sounds like the same plug as on my B2710. I use a large pair of channel locks to wiggle it out and make sure I coat the o-ring with fluid from the dipstick before I put it back in. It seems to develop rust around the area where the dipstick inserts, not sure why because the axle is well vented. Maybe it's too well vented and moisture is getting in there.

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #7  
I used a hair dryer to warm it up a bit and make it pliable- still took some effort. Had to do the same to put it back in.

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug #8  
On our B3030 I use two of those mechanic's pocket flat blade screwdrivers to pry/wiggle the plug out of the axle housing.I note the reading as accurate(unlike the false first reading when ckecking the hydro rear stick)I have noticed a little rusting-not bad.I install the stick with a little rap with a plastic tip hammer on an angle.Works for me!Good Luck!

/ B7610 Front Axle fill plug
Thanks guys for the help after a little persuading and a little pb blast on o ring it went back in with a little help from a hammer. I wish it was threaded to come off and on easier.