Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #1  

dsmiley

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a hard time greasing the swing frame pins and can only do it while actually swinging side to side. I have pulled the zerks and they work fine and have cleaned out the cavities. I'm now thinking that the fits might be so tight that grease has a hard time penetrating. I have no problems with any of the other zerks on the machine, only these 2 pins. Does anybody else have this problem? It has about 250 hours on it with maybe 20 on the hoe. Thanks.

Dean

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #2  
I had same issue. Only time using it will make it easier.

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #3  
I have a hard time greasing the swing frame pins and can only do it while actually swinging side to side. I have pulled the zerks and they work fine and have cleaned out the cavities. I'm now thinking that the fits might be so tight that grease has a hard time penetrating. I have no problems with any of the other zerks on the machine, only these 2 pins. Does anybody else have this problem? It has about 250 hours on it with maybe 20 on the hoe. Thanks.

Dean
I had the same issue on a BX24, the fittings would grease when not in the hoe, but when in, it wouldn't. Believe it or not, I actually replaced it with a new one, and it then took grease.

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #4  
Wonder if you could file a bit off the bottom of the zerk, or file a small groove across the bottom if it would take grease easier?
Just thinkin...

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins
I take the hoe off for the winter and I think I'll pull those pins when I remove it this year and see whats up. It's a real pain in the butt as it is now. It needs to be fixed. It sounds like it's not an uncommon problem, however.

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #6  
Well it would be easier to just pull the grease fitting and try a new one. Honestly I think the factory ones are to close to the internals. You might just try backing it out a 1/4 turn.

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #7  
Since the back hoe builder did not bother to do the machining for it:

the only option you have is to take the pins to a machine shop and have figure 8
grooves machined into each pins surface AS the would normally be done with the
bronze bushings if they use them for the back hoe.

2 swing pins
2 main boom pins
2 upper boom pins
2 dipper arm pins

Eight pins total machining to make up for THEIR mistake.

All depends on how much you work you want to do to cure thier collective screw up.

What happens quite often is simply bad machining in The design as the clearanaces required for the grease fittings are not machined
into the rod ends or the side bushings as they buy the cheap pins without the grease fittings in the center of the actual pins.

Its poor design and more poor design!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins
Well it would be easier to just pull the grease fitting and try a new one. Honestly I think the factory ones are to close to the internals. You might just try backing it out a 1/4 turn.

I have pulled both fittings; both work fine. They both empty into deep cavities so they aren't too close to the internals. I believe the pin diameters are just too close to the bushing diameters, making it a real tight fit. This is not a big deal, though. I figure an hour or two to fix it.

/ Difficulty Greasing BX25 Swing Frame Pins #9  
dsmiley said:
I have pulled both fittings; both work fine. They both empty into deep cavities so they aren't too close to the internals. I believe the pin diameters are just too close to the bushing diameters, making it a real tight fit. This is not a big deal, though. I figure an hour or two to fix it.

Yea well when I was first told to try a new fitting I laughed to myself since it would take grease when not in the backhoe.

I literally only changed it to a new one and it worked easily. Also swapping one from a different place on the tractor didn't help.

I tried everything else before, lifting rotating, pushing down and nothing else worked.

There is another thread somewhere and the same solution solved their problem too.