Replace With Larger Engine

/ Replace With Larger Engine #1  

Rockin' G Ranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HST with FEL
My L4740 HST tractor is about to get replacement engine. Can a larger engine (hp) be installed without requiring any modifications? Thanks.

/ Replace With Larger Engine #2  
I think if you asked your dealer they would tell you that they are replacing your engine with a long block and switching over the external parts that are undamaged. The higher power GL engines are the same physical displacement as the 4740. So to get the extra power Kubota fitted a turbo to the engine. That could mean the cooling could be larger to handle more engine heat. The larger tractors also have larger front tires, not sure if there's extra weight due to the added parts or not. If they do replace the engine with a long block then you would need to buy a turbo and everything else Kubota added as the next size up engines. You may find that the cost is just prohibitive even if everything would fit.

/ Replace With Larger Engine
I think if you asked your dealer they would tell you that they are replacing your engine with a long block and switching over the external parts that are undamaged. The higher power GL engines are the same physical displacement as the 4740. So to get the extra power Kubota fitted a turbo to the engine. That could mean the cooling could be larger to handle more engine heat. The larger tractors also have larger front tires, not sure if there's extra weight due to the added parts or not. If they do replace the engine with a long block then you would need to buy a turbo and everything else Kubota added as the next size up engines. You may find that the cost is just prohibitive even if everything would fit.
The new engine can be run sitting on a table top. NOTHING will be used from my old engine. I was just curious if anyone had replaced their engine with a a larger engine. Thanks.

/ Replace With Larger Engine #4  
Don't see why a direct replacement can't be made. The L4740 has the exact same engine (148.5 cu in) as the L5740. Kubota just tweaked the injection, turbo, specs, etc. to get more HP.

In fact, the L5240 is identical to the L5740 except that it the two are rated at different RPMs. Got this info from a dealer - my neighbor just purchased a L5240.

/ Replace With Larger Engine #5  
Yep, using the same engine in different models with a bit different tuning etc. is common, our 8540 has the same engine as the 9540. I believe the same engine in the B2320 is in the BX2660 etc.

/ Replace With Larger Engine #6  
I thought the 4740 didn't have a turbo. The models above the 4740 are longer, is it for a reason, I don't know. Do the turbo models have an intercooler? If your willing to try it with the understanding that you may need to buy parts then I would guess you could make it work. I would try to find someone with a parts manual and check a few things. I would verify that things like the drivetrain and cooling is the same between the tractors. I would also pop the hood at the dealer on a turbo model. See if anything stands out why the tractor is longer. It could be as simple is they have larger tires.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it or trying to talk you out of it but if you have the dealer install the new engine and something comes up then your kind of stuck paying them to figure it out. It would really suck if half way into it they tell you that something's different and it'll take an extra 10 hours of labor and a thousand or more in parts (yes that could be worse case). Have you asked them what they think? If doing it myself then I would be more willing since my time is free.

Thanks for all of the responses. I visited with The dealer today and he said a different engine could be installed but a turbo charger and new wiring harness would be required. He said it would cost at least an extra $1,000 minimum. He did not recommend trying it.

MessickFarmEqu said:
why would you want to do this?

To get more power? But the dealer talked me out of it.