Hydraulic leak

/ Hydraulic leak #1  

Spikes

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3450
The 'Bota sprung a slow dripping leak in a remote tap block under the seat today. I was brush hogging and noticed it when I stopped for a break.

This is probably easy for you regulars, but I traced the leak to near the threads of the fitting and tightening the fitting didn't do any good. Almost looks like a crack in the cast block from the blurry picture.
Can I use PTFE or something to seal the threads? At least that will tell me if it's a crack. I would rather remove the block (just 2 bolts) but I'm afraid I will cause more leaks. Besides, there is a small tube coming from the bottom of the block and I can't tell where it goes.

Anyone know where I can get a block-off plate to remove the hoses completely? They don't do anything, they are connected together and just hang over the lift arms in the back. Probably used to connect to some attachment the PO had.

So, PTFE tape or find a stock block off plate?

Thanks!
close.JPGleak.JPGremote.JPGseat.JPG

By the way, it's not coming from the hose or crimp, definitely from the threads or a crack in the threaded portion or cast part.

/ Hydraulic leak #2  
Clean the area good, unscrew each hose, clean threads and apply teflon pipe dope, do not use teflon tape. Then restart and check for leaks, stand clear just in case it leaks. Dont over tighten the fittings!

/ Hydraulic leak
Oops, I probably way over tightened the fittings trying to stop the leak. I'll have t find some teflon pipe dope tomorrow. Guessing TSC would carry it?

Thanks for the help!

/ Hydraulic leak #4  
Spikes said:
Oops, I probably way over tightened the fittings trying to stop the leak. I'll have t find some teflon pipe dope tomorrow. Guessing TSC would carry it?

Thanks for the help!

TSC might or any hardware store should have it in their plumbing section

/ Hydraulic leak #5  
I'd clean it up good and make sure it's the threads and not the fitting itself. Blow it off good with air then start it up and sit there with a mirror and a good light to see where the fluid comes out first.

/ Hydraulic leak
I took the remote distribution block off today and the entire inside face of both the tractor and block are painted gray - including the O-rings!

Some of the paint has come loose on the O-rings so I'm going to try cleaning all that up and see what happens.

Edit:

Do I need to bleed anything when I put this back together? I'm guessing I'll loose 2 - 3 tablespoons of fluid, plus what drains back from the system being open for a few hours.

/ Hydraulic leak #7  
I'm pretty sure that as long as its an open center hydraulic system you shouldn't need to bleed it

/ Hydraulic leak
Perfect timing on that post, Crazyangel.

I had just got home from buying an o-ring kit when I saw your post and put everything together with new rings and paint removed. No leaks!

My first repair done. Feels good.

Thanks again all!

/ Hydraulic leak
Spoke too soon. I'm going to try and find the stock block off cap and get rid of the remote altogether.

/ Hydraulic leak #10  
Did you try to reseal hose fittings to block.

Dave