What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove?

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #1  

sdkubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400F
When I purchased my tractor the rear tires where filled with liquid...but I don't know what kind of liquid.

I drained some out and it is light brown in color with no odor...any one want to identify the fluid?

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #2  
more than likely a beet juice type product.

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #3  
. . . I drained some out and it is light brown in color with no odor...

Rusty water? :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It might be RimGuard. (beet juice) Just guessing.
Of course, it could be that some anti-freeze solution might be responsible for that color.
Is there any way to ask the previous owner?

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #4  
When I purchased my tractor the rear tires where filled with liquid...but I don't know what kind of liquid.

I drained some out and it is light brown in color with no odor...any one want to identify the fluid?

Was the tractor in your area for a year or two? If it was, that tells me it is freeze resist and and probably RimGuard. If it was me, and wasn't sure, I would drain a cup out and stick it in the freezer and see if it freezes.

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove?
It came from Tennessee and I live in South Dakota. I thought I read somewhere that beet juice smells to high heaven? What color is calcium chloride? Would it be safe to taste some and is calcium chloride salty to taste? I will probably try freezing a sample to see what happens. The dealer that sold it to me isn't offering up any information even though them claimed to service the tractor.

Tomorrow I pour a 1,000 lb ballast box...16 bags of concrete hand mixed. I will prepare my triple margarita before I start!

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #6  
freeze test if in doubt.

to test for cacl.. just dit a piece of steel in it and see if it rusts in a day or two....

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #7  
It came from Tennessee and I live in South Dakota. I thought I read somewhere that beet juice smells to high heaven?

Smells like moldy chocolate. My tractor has had rimguard for 4 years and you can even smell it from about 4 feet from the tires because it even permeates through the rubber tires.

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #8  
Funny I just posted a thread before seeing this on. It's Rim Gaurd

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #9  
I bet it is Calcium Cloride. It is brown from the rust from the rims. Yes Calcium Cloride is safe to taste and is very salty.

James K0UA

/ What Rear Tire Ballst Do I Hove? #10  
Try a little taste, very unlikely that it's so toxic a drop on your tongue will kill you. Cacl is so salty it'll pucker your eyebrows. Might just be plain water. Are there tubes in the tires? You can tell if there are because there'll be a nut on the valve stem, tubeless will look very similar to a car tire valve stem.

I've had cacl in mine for a couple years now, with tubes. Rims look just like new inside, we had one tire off last summer.

Sean